turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

blopez343

W-2 Box 20 is empty but it is asking me to fill it in

What do i put?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Unless you have a local tax where you live (very rare) and there is an amount withheld in box 19 then all boxes 18-20 must be blank.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
RayW7
Expert Alumni

You can try entering 0 in Box 20, to see if that helps to resolve this issue. Box 20 and Box 19 go together. 

Box 19: Local income tax — The amount of tax withheld for the locality in Box 20. This amount is entered on the appropriate line of your local return.

Box 20: Locality name — The description of the place — like a city or town — for which taxes were also withheld.

If both Box 19 and 20 are empty just do not enter any information in TurboTax  for these fields.

If you have an amount in box 19, but nothing in box 20, this is a problem. With an amount in box 19, box 20 needs a locality name that the amount in box 19 was paid to. This is usually a city income tax or sometimes state disability payments. In any case, there needs to be a locality name in box 20, if box 19 includes any amount.

If you do have an amount in box 19 then you need to contact your employer and ask they correct the W2 before you file.

I am having the same issue. I have been talking with my employer who has assured me both boxes must be left blank. Yet, turbo tax keeps showing me this error 😮💨 I don’t know what to do. Someone please help 

IMG_2100.jpeg

Delete the W-2 and re-enter manually to remove the TurboTax error message.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies