Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kb_1688

Using 2019 Income

I let my girlfriend file my taxes. She accidentally submitted with my 2020 income which was 20k dollars less than 2019s income which I wanted to use for the EITC credit. Will I be able to do an amended return later to use 2019s income for a larger return, or is it set in stone now?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Using 2019 Income

You never actually report and pay income tax on your 2019 amount of income. Why would you wanna pay more income tax? Your tax return must only list your correct 2020 income.  

The function that allows you to calculate earned income credit based on your 2019 income is a separate option in the program.  When you run that option, you will be asked to provide information from your 2019 tax return and TurboTax will determine which method provides the greater earned income payment.

if your girlfriend did not run this option in the program, you can test to see if the option improves your situation and then you could file an amended return after your first refund is paid. However you need to be aware, that even though the earned income credit can be calculated based on your 2019 earned income from working, you can be disqualified if you have unearned income in 2020, such as unemployment compensation. So the benefit of the alternative calculation is not as great as some people assume.

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Using 2019 Income

No, it's not set in stone.  If using 2019 income gives you a larger credit, then you can file an amended return.  You should wait until any refund you are expecting has been received before attempting to amend.  Also, do not make any changes in your return until you amend.  For information on amending your return go to:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies