turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can you use an older version of turbotax to file this years taxes

I'm using TurboTax Deluxe 2016, and selected "file new return", but it keeps referencing 2017 tax details.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
DonnaLO
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, no you can not use an older version to file this year's taxes.  Each year requires it's own version. Here is information on how you can get this year's TurboTax.

Please follow this link for current pricing for our Online products:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

Please follow this link for current pricing for our Download/CD products:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ikearat

I can not afford to replace my computer and pay for the software such an upgrade would require. I have looked at doing this and the cost is in excess of $1000. Turbotax has decided to make this whole tax thing difficult by following the industry's greedy money-grab protocol of new computer and operating system every couple years for no real reason. What in filing your taxes has become so difficult that a whole new computer and operating system is required?

Ok, I know this "rant" will go un-answered and more likely not even read by anyone... much less someone who cares and can do anything about the problem.

It looks like I will be looking for another tax filing solution and if I must, I will file manually. At least that does not change, unless the gov requires you to file is Spanish or some forgotten dialect.

@ikearat If your Mac does not meet the requirements for the 2019 TurboTax software, you can use the TurboTax online editions - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

ikearat

You replied "

@IF your Mac does not meet the requirements for the 2019 TurboTax software, you can use the TurboTax online editions - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

To which I reply:

This is not correct. The TurboTax website states the minimum requirements for operating system and browser required. Those specifications are the same as the requirements for the TurboTax software. Please refer to your own resources to verify this. Thank you.

Please pass-on to TurboTax that as a result of their decision to toss customers to the curb over trivial issues like computer and browser, I prepared my taxes using a different service. It took me 20 minutes and the return was filed and acknowledged by the IRS in less than an hour. It cost me $0 to do this using another service. TurboTax has been my "go-to" for years and now that relationship is concluded... over the trivial issue of computer operating system and Internet browser. You guys need to re-evaluate your priorities if you want to stay in business.

@ikearat wrote:

You replied "

@IF your Mac does not meet the requirements for the 2019 TurboTax software, you can use the TurboTax online editions - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

To which I reply:

This is not correct. The TurboTax website states the minimum requirements for operating system and browser required. Those specifications are the same as the requirements for the TurboTax software. Please refer to your own resources to verify this. Thank you.

Please pass-on to TurboTax that as a result of their decision to toss customers to the curb over trivial issues like computer and browser, I prepared my taxes using a different service. It took me 20 minutes and the return was filed and acknowledged by the IRS in less than an hour. It cost me $0 to do this using another service. TurboTax has been my "go-to" for years and now that relationship is concluded... over the trivial issue of computer operating system and Internet browser. You guys need to re-evaluate your priorities if you want to stay in business.

Haven't the fainest idea where you received your information concerning the requirements for the online editions as being the same for the desktop software.

See this TurboTax support FAQ or online edition requirements - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/turbotax-online-system-requirements/01/25...

Minimum operating systems and browsers - Mac
Mac OS X 10.14.x (Mojave)

Firefox 66.x
Safari 12.x
Chrome 73.x
Opera 58.x

Mac OS X 10.13.x (High Sierra)

Firefox 66.x
Safari 12.x
Chrome 73.x
Opera 58.x

Mac OS X 10.12.x (Sierra)

Firefox 66.x
Safari 12.x
Chrome 73.x
Opera 58.x

Mac OS X 10.11.x (El Capitan)

Firefox 66.x
Safari 12.x
Chrome 73.x
Opera 58.x

Mac OS X 10.10.x (Yosemite)

Firefox 66.x
Safari 12.x
Chrome 73.x
Opera 58.x

Mac OS X 10.9.x (Mavericks)

Firefox 66.x
Safari 12.x
Chrome 73.x
Opera 58.x

Mac OS X 10.8.x (Mountain Lion)

Firefox 66.x
Chrome 73.x
Opera 58.x

Mac OS X 10.7.x (Lion)

Firefox 66.x
Chrome 73.x
Opera 58.x

Mac OS X 10.6.x (Snow Leopard)

Firefox 66.x
Chrome 73.x
Opera 58.x

ikearat

After reading your post I explored the page I had used and find that you provided the same page through your link. I also found that the scroll bar on the right side of the window is not being displayed in my browser. I found this by highlighting the visible text while holding the shift key and then pressing the page down button on my keyboard.

My computer is a MID 2011 iMac with a 3.4GHz Intel Core i7 with 20 GB of 1333 MHz DDR3 Ram and an SSD drive... no problems with hardware I would think.

The display subsystem is an AMD Radeon HD 6970M with a GB of RAM supporting a 27" LCD set for 2560 x 1440 resolution... seems to be a good enough display.

The OS is OS-X 10.8.5 (installing 10.8.7 causes a Kernel Panic which Apple has replied "Your computer is end-of-life and we offer no solution to your issue. You may try a 3rd party service is you so desire."  Yes, Apple are arsewholes)

The browser is Waterfox version 56.2.9 (64-bit). Why Waterfox you ask? Firefox does not support 10.8.5 and Safari is laughable. Apple won't talk to me (see Kernel Panic above) and if I wanted to use Chrome or IE I would be a Windows user and you would have to hold my hand every step of the way through everything I do with a computer. Besides, who needs 5 different ways to do a thing when one way that everyone can agree on will do fine. (/windows bashing)

Had the Intuit website been written with simple html I would possible have happily used Turbotax and you would have never heard from me. All for the feeling of need for style sheets and xml goes a customer.

I was not screwing around. Taxes are due and I was not going to trouble shoot Turbotax's website to dance around their flashy web interface. I used another service.

Thank you for following-up on my post, which now seems to be more of a rant than anything else but you did indeed help. My taxes are done for this year and perhaps next year I will give Turbotax a look... If I'm still allowed to use my ancient computer in a world of things that change for no reason other than to satisfy the programming comunity's need to foist "new" on the hapless masses.

believeinlove
Returning Member

I hear your rant, same dilemma here. I really don't feel comfortable doing my taxes online, while online… even though it's free, it just gives me the willies and I'm poor, really.  So my only other option is to upgrade my OS which will still be older but I'm afraid that screws my other old software, so I can't. H&R will allow me to use my software this year. But that means a learning curve, I've never used the H&R product before. Two days to go and I'm still debating. ARGHHH
I just wanted you to know you are not alone. Praying for wisdom on this and for you too.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies