Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unemployment made my return drop by almost $4k once I entered it. Is there a calculation to see how much if any refund I am eligible for since $10k is waived

Just wanted to see if it would help. I did all my w2 info first and then added unemployment and my return dropped from over 7k to over 3k :( I know IRS says we don't need to do anything but I would like to crunch the numbers bc I'm impatient lol
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Unemployment made my return drop by almost $4k once I entered it. Is there a calculation to see how much if any refund I am eligible for since $10k is waived

TT Online is already updated to reflect the new unemployment comp deduction.  But you won't qualify for this if your income is too high.  In general, though, any increase in income (including unemployment comp) can lower or eliminate some deductions/credits, so you could be experiencing that as well.

Look at the TT worksheets in your file.

Where do I find that I'm a noob with this. Usually I just file w2 and put turbotax away for the year lol

If you have unemployment you can exclude up to 10,200.  

The exclusion will be on Schedule 1 Line 8 as a negative number. Your unemployment compensation will be on Line 7 of Schedule 1. The result flows to Form 1040 Line 8.

Before filing,  You can preview the 1040 or print the whole return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f...

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Have you already filed?  I am not sure what you mean by ''is there a calculation''.   You need to report your unemployment income on your tax return.  TurboTax has been updated to include the exclusion.   The calculation is already built into the software, so all you need to do is enter your 1099-G (and all other tax data) to see what refund you are owed.   

TurboTax will exclude up to $10,200 of unemployment income from your tax return if your AGI is under certain thresholds.   But you need to enter all of your W-2s and your 1099-G from unemployment in TurboTax.   If you previously filed without the exclusion, the IRS will refund the difference sometime in May.  If this is the case, when you sign into TurboTax, you will see an updated refund amount and the difference between the amount it shows today and the amount it was when you filed would be the additional amount of refund you should expect from the IRS. 

IRS notice regarding UE compensation 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You usually only have a W2?  It shows you are in the Self Employed version.  Why are you in the highest version if you only have a W2 and 1099G for unemployment?

Thanks I did mine in February lol but I'm gonna check out that flow I appreciate that 

• Yes I filed two months ago and got my money back early march. Thank you that answer is helpful 

@halliemm119 

If you filed two months ago in February, your tax was higher.

IRS will now calculate the difference and send you another refund, sooner or later.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies