turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ndrn

Unemployment income on 2020 taxes.

I received a letter from Turbo Tax, March 25, 2021, stating this income should NOT have been taxed as it was deemed to be tax free after I filed.  The letter stated I would be receiving a refund and that I should do nothing because Turbo Tax would send the refund to me.  It has been 2 years and I still have not received this refund.

Please provide me with a status on this.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Income tax refunds are not issued or sent to you by TurboTax.   Federal refunds come from the IRS.   If you filed a tax return for 2020 before the tax law changed to waive federal tax on the first $10,200 of unemployment, the IRS should have sent you the additional refund.   If the IRS did not do so, then you can amend your 2020 tax return to get back the federal tax that you paid for the first $10,200 of unemployment compensation received in 2020.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

TurboTax does not send you any type of tax refund, federal or state. 

The IRS was to correct your filed 2020 tax return and send you a refund based on the 2020 unemployment exclusion.  If you did not receive a refund for the unemployment exclusion from the IRS then you need to file a 2020 amended tax return.

Go to this IRS website for information - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2020-unemployment-compensation-exclusion-faqs-topic-d-amended-return-fo...

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

check your 2020 account transcript with the IRS to see if it shows the refund being issued. It could have gotten lost. if it shows the refund was made filing an amended return won't help you. you need to contact the iRS.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript 

800-829-1040

First choose your language.

Then 2

Then 1

Then 3

Then 2

When asked for SSN do nothing it will ask twice

Then 2

Then 4

You should then be transferred to an agent

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies