If you want to change or correct some info on a prior-year tax return after you've filed, you may need to amend your return. Here are some things to know before you begin:
- You have three years from the date you filed your return or two years after you paid the tax due (whichever is later) to file an amendment.
- Make sure you really need to amend.
- Wait until your return has been accepted (or mailed if paper-filing).
- Use the same TurboTax account you used to file your original return.
- Once you begin your amendment, you'll see your original return. Only make changes to the areas of your return that need amending. The refund calculator will start new at $0 and only reflect the changes in the refund or tax due.
- Any changes you make to amend your federal return will automatically be transferred over to your state return.
Select your product below and follow the instructions.
If you want to track the status of your amended return, use the IRS Where's My Amended Return? tracking tool. Allow at least 16 weeks for the IRS to process your amended return.