Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Unable to import from Charles Schwab, says "the entered value does not meet the login id requirements"

TurboTax seems to accept your Schwab login (meaning you don't get the "does not meet" error msg)  but then you can't go further, right? I haven't encountered grayed-out buttons with TurboTax, but since this is Schwab (again) do you think it may be that TurboTax objects to something in your login (even though you've followed NayshayLO's advice) and it doesn't give you an error message about it? 

henri56
Returning Member

Unable to import from Charles Schwab, says "the entered value does not meet the login id requirements"

TTSchwabissue.pngMy ID doesn’t have any numbers and I can log in on Schwab’s website with no problems. This is not a Schwab issue. TT does not allow me to submit my ID and password. The continue button (which either submits or takes you to the next step for submission) is grayed out. The only active buttons are back and skip import.

I had imported from schwab about a month ago but got a corrected form. I removed the import and tried to import the corrected info but ran into this. Even trying a new return doesn’t allow importing.

GZav

My issue with the Turbo Tax import with Schwab is that I get the error code "Account information may contain bad or invalid characters such as spaces". I am using the same username and password as I use to sign into Schwab. My guess is that Turbo Tax doesn't like that my username contains a symbol even though Schwab allows it. I'm not about to enter a massive amount of data manually!

I believe that I ran into this last year.   Schwab changed their user name and login requirements, however Schwab itself allows (grandfathered) old  logins.    TurboTax checks logins according to Schwabs published requirements.   I had to change my own Schwab login to conform to the new standards.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Having same issue. Yes, paid for Premier Edition. What a waste of time and money.

It would take hours to enter all trades manually, and then check for entry errors. Avoiding that exercise is the whole point in downloading from my broker.

Ran into this last year (2021). This year I proactively changed my Schwab login so that there were no more than 4 numbers in a row, and it worked with TurboTax without a glitch. Wish TT would make this clear because it seems to be an issue on their end, not Schwab's. 

Schwab has changed the user ID requirements however they will still honor old user ID's for the website but not from 3rd parties such as TurboTax imports.

My own user ID contains an _ (usedrscore) that is not longer allowed.    I can access my account with no problem but cannot import unless I change the ID.

Per Schwab Login IDs:
  • Are not case sensitive
  • May not match or contain Social Security Numbers (SSN)
  • At least 6 valid characters in length
  • May contain only letters and numbers
  • Has at least one letter

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
yvic
Level 2

Never had trouble importing Schwab info for many years until now.  After selecting Schwab from TT's drop menu I get a TT message to log in to Intuit not Schwab and when I do log in to Intuit I get a message "hmmm something looks wrong" and then I'm directed through a toggle to reset my Intuit login password, which I've done three times with no success.

Yes, I can log into Intuit and independent from it I can log in to Schwab.  I linked the Schwab account with TT a couple of months ago.  I've checked the Schwab log in password to comply with what you (champ) previously posted so that seems to be fine. At this point I'm either going to dump my current TT return and start a new one, but all this extra work, especially if I have to manually enter all trades is baloney... TT needs to fix this ASAP, IMO

yvic,  since this issue has been going on for some time (TT vs Schwab logins), I'd speak with one of TT's experts to see if you can pin it down (if you haven't already).  It turned out that my Schwab password was fine. It was my user name that was causing the problem. 

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Have you tried a different browser like Edge or Firefox? Go to browser settings & disable pop-up blockers as this can cause the issue as well.

@yvic 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
yvic
Level 2

No, I already spent too much time manually entering Schwab trades and digitally sent in my tax return. I'll probably look for another platform for '22 taxes. If TT and Intuit were doing their job I wouldn't have to either play around with different web browsers nor enter the info manually. You should raise the red flag with your technical people, this is totally unacceptable. 

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

There is always the option to enter Sales Section Totals, requiring a minimal amount of data entry. 

Because of so many variables involved, it's difficult to determine why one person can import and another cannot (same institution).   Here's a link with Import Troubleshooting tips. 

@yvic 

yvic
Level 2

I've checked all the info and found no solution.  When I select Schwab from the drop down menu instead of being prompted to log into Schwab I get an Intuit log in screen, although I had selected in Schwab to link to TT.  I had done this approximately one month before Schwab had the info available to download to TT.

The only thing I can think of is that in late 2022 I used TT, as I've done years before, to estimate my taxes so I could forward an estimated tax payment (if needed) to the IRS to avoid a penalty. When the actual Schwab info was available I cleared the estimated capital gains I had previously entered. That's when I encountered the problem. 

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

You may need to check your brokerage to see if they are allowing third-party access. Although the following Help Article is for Schwab, it is possible that your brokerage has restricted TurboTax's access to your statements unless you grant consent, and you might need to do something similar to what is described below: 

@yvic 

yvic
Level 2

Casslo,

Had you read my previous posts you would have known that I did authorize Schwab to accept TT for downloads. Your suggested links would not solve  the problem.

When I click to import from the Schwab download menu, an Intuit sign-in screen appears and I'm asked to sign in to Intuit "for added security". I do that using the correct Intuit password and then get a message, "Hmmm something doesn't seem right (or words to that effect)".  I then reset my Intuit password, get confirmation that it was accepted, log in to Intuit with the new password, an online (not desktop version) TT page appears and though I can access TT, for the wrong version of TT, attempt to once again go to my desktop to download Schwab and once again the same thing happens and I'm asked to change my password to Intuit.  I've been a TT user for many years and never had this problem.  I ended up manually, and laboriously, inputting my trades.  I am not the only one having this problem and suggest your technical team investigate this issue.  I will definitely consider using another tax platform next year if an answer to this problem is not remedied.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies