turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax Newly added K-3 has a bug - need fixing

TurboTax updated with K-3; however the TurboTax K-3 has a bug as it does not include the selection of country for US.  Our K-3 forms shows US amount in column (a) and column (g).  How do we enter?  Will TurboTax fix this bug?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

72 Replies
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

In the interview section for Schedule K-3, TurboTax is asking for the foreign country for which you are reporting foreign activities. The detail questions have boxes for columns B-G only, but not column A (US-sourced). Do you receive an error if you do not enter anything for column A?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks PatriciaV.   I think TurboTax only partially created the K-3 electronically for only foreign derived income, not for all incomes.  In my case, as a passive investor in a partnership, I have only received US based income and zero foreign income.  K-3 is for all income, including US source income. 

Here are some issues:

TurboTax interview asked Foreign Country or US Possession, what do I select?  Do I select "not applicable" since US is not among the choice? Alternatively TurboTax in K-3 should have two entries for Box16 - if Box 16 in K-1 is checked with foreign income, OR if Box 16 in K-1 is checked with only US income; if you select the former, you continue to fill out the K-3 in TurboTax, and if you select the latter, you stop.  That would be a fix to the bug.

When prompted to Enter gross income information, there is no Column A box for US income, but there is a Column G total for "Foreign Gross Income - Gross Income from all sources", should I enter US total in this column or leave it blank?

If I cannot enter US or any US source income in TurboTax version of K-3, then what do I do?

Another fix for the TurboTax bug is to add US as a choice in country selection and also add Box (a) for US income source in each column. This will be consistent with the IRS form K-3.  Thus I think that it is a bug in TurboTax software.  

If you have other creative fix, please advice and think many will benefit from the expert guidance.  Appreciate very much.

When I select "not applicable" when the interview question asks about foreign country or US possession, it still gives me error. There is no where in K-3 in TurboTax you can indicate that although K-3 box is checked, I had only US based income/loss.  Thus this has to be a bug.

Joan60

Thank you for asking this question.  I am having the same issue.  My K-3 shows gross rental real estate income from the U.S. only.  No foreign income.  What is reported on the K-3 as a net income (loss) has already been reported on the K-1 Box 2 in the same amount as a net rental real estate income (loss).  Does this mean that the U.S. amount that should be reported on the K-3 has already been reported on the K-1?

When passive partnership issued K-3's only have US based income and the tax payers receiving them do not have to file Form 1116 (some may be eligible to claim foreign tax credit on Schedule 3), I do not see any option other than uncheck Box 16 in TurboxTax when entering information for K-1.  Otherwise, TurboTax review will always show error.

The best solution in my view is TurboTax fixes this bug by adding one more interview question:

"If your K-1 have only US income/loss and you do not have to file Form 1116 to claim foreign tax credits, please check this box" and then by passing all entries and end K-3 part.  This will solve the problem.

If anyone has any better ideas, please advice.  

I'm having the same issues as others. My K-3 only has US sourced income and TurboTax does not allow me to enter US. It seems a simple fix, just add US to the pull-down list, otherwise I cannot enter my K-3 and am stuck.

I spent 2 hours on a tech support call who finally suggested I lie about box 16 on my K-1 to avoid entering my K-3 altogether, but that seems poor and possibly illegal advice...to lie on a government form?

Please, just add US to the list of possible entries on the Interview form...

@PatriciaV  Can you give us any update on TurboTax intentions to fix the above mentioned bugs and inconsistencies in the new K-3 form? And when?

I would have PMd you, but apparently we are not allowed to PM TurboTax employees...

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

The issues with the K-3 stem from the IRS themselves.  You can still file your return by unchecking the K-3 box, but you might have to file an amendment when the K-3 is available.  The IRS announced on February 15, 2022, that most K2/K3 reporting for 2021 can be delayed until the 2022 tax return filing, but they have not reported how taxpayers should proceed.  

Per the IRS:

The IRS intends to provide certain additional transition relief for this year from the Schedule K-2 and K-3 reporting for certain domestic partnerships and S corporations with no foreign activities, foreign partners, or shareholders, and without knowledge of partner or shareholder need for information on items of international relevance. For 2021, these qualifying domestic partnerships and S corporations will not have to file the new schedules. We are taking this step in response to feedback we received from the tax community and our stakeholders.  The IRS will provide full details of this relief soon.

@Tax2019Pay

@Joan60

@Gene357

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi @AliciaP1 ,

Thanks for the update, though I had seen that prior to the buggy K-3 form being added.

From a paying software customer perspective, we are being placed in a very uncomfortable filing position, especially since the IRS has not yet given official advise for us taxpayers. As mere citizen taxpayers, it seems unlikely we can do anything individually get the IRS to offer specific taxpayer advice.

As an official eFile provider/partner with the IRS, has TurboTax raised these specific issues with the IRS? Any response?

thanks!

Hi AliciaP1: I am not sure that I can agree with you. The K-3 form that IRS issued has no problem.  TurboTax truncated the form electronically, removed Column (a) entries, and did not allow the selection of US as a country.  If TurboTax inputs the entire K-3 exactly like the IRS K-3 into any relevant TurboTax version, the issue should go away.  After several customers raised this concern, there seems to be long silence from TurboTax. We all want to do the right thing to submit right information to IRS, why can't TurboTax do this simple fix?  Or alternatively TurboTax can add a selection (if you do not have any foreign income in K-3 and you do not need to file Form 1116, you can bypass the rest of K-3 - when you run review, errors will go away - it is even a simpler solution).  I just hope that TurboTax can fix this in the next few days as the deadline for tax filing is due very soon.

Hello @AliciaP1 and @PatriciaV,

Do you disagree with @Tax2019Pay that there is a bug in the TurboTax implementation of the K-3 form from the IRS?

If you disagree, that seems you are asserting that the IRS K-3 eFile form is wrong.. As an official eFile provider/partner with the IRS, has TurboTax raised these specific issues with the IRS? Any response?

If you do not disagree, do you have access to Developers? Have you shared this issue with them? Have the Devs shared a response and ETA of a fix?

It appears TT makes it almost impossible to report actual software bugs. Are we wasting our time pointing out bugs here? Do you have a better suggestion?

I looked through the "Expert" section. Plenty of Tax experts, but no developers apparently. Trying loop in a few other possibly relevant experts and one Champ/SuperUser who I noticed seems fairly knowledgeable...

Sorry for the semi-spam, but this issue needs some attention...

@DavidD66 

@RobertB4444 

@JohnB5677 

@DianeW777 

@JohnW152

@LoganathanB

@xmasbaby0

Uncheck block 16 on K-1 and proceed without the K-3.

I have tried unchecking Box 16, but I am still getting the error and have run out of options on how to get rid of it so I have some hope of filing on time.  Thx!

Did you import the K-1? Try going to the Form View and enter the data directly on the form.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies