Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax Downloaded version for MacOS - Not transferring prior year's data

Downloaded MacOS version of TurboTax 2021last week and downloaded updated version today (11/19/21 - 2021.r05.021) and started new return.  Program shows prior year tax file available for transfer, but when select it and request transfer of prior data, program reports that transfer was successful but no data is transferred - all blank.  This is the case whether attempting to use the prior year TurboTax file (format: XXXXX.tax2020) or trying to use the .pdf file created by TurboTax last year.

2020 version of TurboTax MacOS will open and transfer the 2019 tax data, but the 2020 version will not open the 2020 tax data file.  I am concerned that the 2021 version of TT MacOS corrupted the data in the prior year tax file.

Any similar experiences or suggestions?  Thanks very much.  (Do not want to manually enter all my data!) 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

22 Replies

It works fine for me.   I have several 2020 .tax files that I test with an they all transferred to 2021 without a hitch.

Also transfer only READS the .tax filwe and cannot write to it.   If you still have the 2020 version try opening the 2020 .tax file with that (use "File -> Open Tax Return", don't double click the 2020 .tax file or it will try to use the latest version of the software (2021 not 2020).   If it will not open then the file is corrupted.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Are you using the latest version of the MacOS - Monterey 12.0.1?  That upgrade came along after TurboTax 2021 was published.  I am wondering if there is some incompatibility.

No, I am on Catalina, but the software is independent of the OS as long as you have OSX 10.15 or higher.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I am on Monterrey and I can see my 2020 file but it will not open with the 2020 software and it will not open with the 2021 software and I cannot transfer either..... If anyone finds a solution....please share 🙂

jsbigs
Returning Member

Same issue here. I just purchased and downloaded TurboTax Premier 2021 (from Amazon), installed and updated the program, and transferred last year's return (*.tax2020 file), and yet no data transfers to the new return. On a Mac running OS 11.6.1 (Big Sur). I've been using TT for the last eight years and this is the first time I've encountered this (seemingly basic) issue. My only thought is with the typically frequent updates to TT that occur early in the tax year this will be fixed, but honestly, this should never have been released with this bug.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the below TurboTax Help Article for assistance with your TurboTax for MAC software:

TurboTax for Mac won't open when installed

You may also want to try uninstalling and reinstalling your software.

Remove and reinstall TurboTax for Mac

If you continue to have issues with your software not opening or importing your 2020 tax file, please reach out to Customer Support.

What is the TurboTax phone number?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes I am having the same problem not being able to transfer prior years taxes for MacOS

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@bickleyc

Please reference the above steps by @MichelleLO for further assistance with this experience. 

If you continue to have issues with your software not opening or importing your 2020 tax file, please reach out to Customer Support.

What is the TurboTax phone number?

UPDATE as of February 5, 2022.

After two MacOS updates, and at least three updates to the TurboTax software, TurboTax 2021 finally transferred the data from my prior year's (2020) TurboTax file into the 2021 TurboTax return.

I wish I could explain what specifically happened to cause it to finally work.   My only suggestion is to make sure you are using the latest MacOS and have allowed TurboTax to download and install its latest version (which for me is TurboTax Version: 2021.r15.074 and MacOS Version: Monterey 12.2)

Awesome, mine finally did as well! Thanks for the heads up.

I have Catalina as well and turbotax 2021 is not prompting to download the 2020 data. Just getting started now so I should have all of the latest updates. Were you ever able to resolve this issue?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

It is still important to run a software update, as there is often updates needing to be completed. 

Please follow the instructions here to run the manual update. @Whtmtns

jsbigs
Returning Member

Apologies for the delay. I'm still on Big Sur (11.6.4), and was eventually able to sync all of my 2020 data. I don't recall doing anything particularly special though versus many attempts that finally worked. Good luck!

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

We are happy to hear you were able to get everything resolved. Please let us know if we can assist you further. @jsbigs

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies