turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mabrooks

Did my turbotax filing include a city income tax filing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
MicheleR

TurboTax does not automatically fill out a city return unless the taxpayer initiates it in the State section of the software. After the taxpayer goes through the city questions they would need to print and mail in the return to their local municipality. 

If you did not complete this section, you can go to your City's website where you need to file, and complete an online return. There are cities who will prepare your return in person for free, contact your City's Taxation Department for more information.

For a specific city filing question please feel free to post a new question to ensure it gets the attention needed to assist.

*See TurboTax FAQ - Which city tax returns can I do in the TurboTax state program?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300104

AlanT222
Expert Alumni

No it did not.  While you can prepare many city income tax returns through TurboTax, you must physically mail the forms to the city.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What about payment? Do they directly debit from your bank or you have to send them a MO or cheque?

RK4
Level 2

Hi ,

My office is in City which has city tax more than 3% and due to COVID situation I was allowed to work remote for more than 8 months. My local taxes is 1% (from where i worked) but my paystub deducted city taxes for all 12 months of the year. I believe I only need to pay local taxes while i am working remote and city taxes for the period i worked form office. Am I correct?

I do not see any adjustment feature for this situation in turbotax. Can experts reply what can i do in this situation? 

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

TurboTax does not provide support for all municipal tax situations. 

For your specific city you should rely on your city website for tax forms and instructions on how to prepare and submit your tax return.

When your Form W2 shows local and/or city taxes have been withheld, you are allowed to take credit for those taxes as being paid during the year as itemized deductions on your Federal return. 

Did my TurboTax filing include a city income tax filing?

Claiming Local Taxes on My Tax Return

I believe that I opted to have my city taxes automatically debited from my account, to ensure they are paid, how do I go back and double check this? State and Federal taxes are already filed so I'm having a hard time revisiting the city section. 

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Did your State Filing Instructions page tell you where to mail a printed City Return?   If not, TurboTax may not have prepared one.  There are only a few cities handled by TurboTax.

Here's info on City Returns Prepared by TurboTax.

Often you can submit a City Return online, or download the forms there. 

Click this link for steps on How to Open a Return After Filing.

@bayleereed2

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies