Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax CRITICAL NOTICE Email 1098

I received a strange email from [email address removed] - is this a legitimate TurboTax email??

The title of the email was CRITICAL NOTICE: Regarding your 2022 TurboTax return. It reads:

We’re contacting you because there might be an issue with the 1098 entries on your 2022 federal tax return. You may have duplicated the 1098 form attached to your return, which means there’s a possibility that you underpaid your taxes. We understand that finding out you might owe more taxes isn’t good news, and we want to make things right. It won’t cost you anything to check your TurboTax return or prepare an amendment. In fact, we’ll give you $30 for the inconvenience of checking to see if your tax return needs to be amended, if you do so by July 31, 2023.* To look for a duplicate 1098 and amend your taxes if a duplicate is found, please follow the steps in this help article: Duplicate 1098 Forms TurboTax experts are available to answer your questions at [phone number removed] (Monday–Friday, 5 AM to 5 PM PT). We truly apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused and want to thank you for being part of the TurboTax family. Warm regards, TurboTax Tax Accuracy Team

If this is legitimate, it sounds like there was a glitch in the system which TurboTax did not catch until just recently. How could a duplicate 1098 pass through the final TurboTax verification process before filing? I believe there is a 100% accuracy guarantee as well. Again, it sounds like TurboTax is trying to backtrack and get customers to pay for their system's error (by offering a $30 credit which is a laughable amount if thousands are owed - you'd think they'd give you a full refund!). I would think that TurboTax would then be liable to the IRS for any discrepancies in a refund amount. I would be curious to get a tax lawyer's opinion on this matter.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

The email was removed but here it is again with spaces: TurboTax @ em2. turbotax. intuit. com

Hmmmm probably legit.  There have been a few posts lately asking about duplicated 1098 forms.

Thank you! I’m still going to wait to hear from the IRS about this issue though. 

If you wait for the IRS to send you a bill, you will owe penalties and interest.

A 1098 is used to report mortgage interest and property taxes. If TurboTax duplicated a 1098, that wouldn’t fail any internal error checks, because many people have more than one mortgage. It will take the IRS several months up to three years to catch the error. The longer you let the error ago, the higher the interest and penalties will be, and you may not be able to recover the interest and penalties from TurboTax if they notified you of the problem and you ignored it.

I reported a 1098 on my tax return, and I never got this notice, so I would be willing to bet that the email was only sent out to people who really do have problems.

@zielinskij61287 - do as you will, but if it turns out you are impacted, note that

1) TT will not pay the back taxes - that is outside their guarentee 

2) TT will pay for the penalties and interest, but I suspect they would argue since they informed you and you failed to take action, their liability for penalties and interest stops once they informed you of the issue. 

3) if it turns out you over-paid your taxes, TT will not cover you under the guanentee. What happens if the IRS never informs you of the duplicate?  You'll never get the refund.  The IRS tends to accept over reporting of income as it is in thei favor but informs you if there is evidence of underreporting.   

your choice on what you want to do....

Thank you for your input! I understand that folks have more than one mortgage but I am curious as to:

1) How it duplicated in the first place when I most certainly did not enter information twice and I did not transfer anything from last year’s form. 

2) Why their system wouldn’t catch a duplicate in the EXACT same amount with the EXACT same banking information.

3) Why are they sending this via email and not through a formal letter in the mail? This email was actually in my spam folder…

I am wondering if TurboTax had a system glitch as I’ve seen people report in previous years. I’m curious enough to contact a tax professional for guidance on this. 

Thanks for providing that information. I will have to contact TurboTax this week to ask my questions since I’m not sure if anyone there reads these messages. But again, I’m running this situation by an impartial tax professional (since we have both accountants and legal counsel at my firm). 

PjB71057

Can you reply back what your lawyer told you please 

Yes! Out until after the 4th so I will then 🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies