kooolerking

TurboTax 2020 for Mac will not finish update nor run

TurboTax 2020 for Mac worked ok when filing back in April 2021, but now in Sept 2021 it tries to update when I open it, but won't finish installing, rather it just quits each time. Same Mac, same Mojave OS, etc. as before, but it will not run. What is the fix for this?

Well this is a holiday weekend so anything is possible ... I have not seen any other MAC issues posted recently.  Call TT  support tomorrow if you still have an issue.  

Hello ...  @macuser_22  do you know anything ???

kooolerking

It must have been a website or server issue being down over the weekend' when I tried again after the holiday, the update worked as-expected.

kooolerking

Thanks, but I have already tried the standard troubleshooting, and it does not work to resolve the issue I am experiencing.

To clarify, TT2020 for Mac upon opening gives no option other than to download and install the latest update (250.3MB).  After it extracts the update, it then prompts me to "install and relaunch", after clicking the button, it sits there for a few seconds, then it closes TT2020 completely without installing the update nor "relaunching".

I cannot even run TT2020 without it forcing this "update" process which cannot be completed. TT2020 worked fine when I last used it on this same computer in April of this year, and I have not changed or added any security-related software or settings since that time.

Is the Intuit update website down at this time or is this a known bug in TT2020 for Mac? Will there be a fix? 

macuser_22

@kooolerking wrote:

It sounds like you probably have Corruption could have occurred in the Application or in an associated preference or support file.

The best remedy is to totally uninstall TurboTax and all associate files and then re-install. That will not delete or change any .tax2020 data file that had already been created with the tax data.

To uninstall the application and all associated files need to be deleted and then the application reinstalled. If there was a state then the state must also be reinstalled.

To remove TurboTax from your computer, you'll need administrative rights.

ALL these files must be deleted.

Here is a FAQ for how to uninstall Mac
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901210-remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901209-reinstall-turbotax-maca corrupted support file.

kooolerking

kooolerking

Uninstalling and re-installing the software as a "one-size-fits all" response would have been a waste of time for this situation. The update finally worked as-expected a few days later after the holiday was over, so it must have been an Intuit server issue.

The frustrating thing was that the TT software could not even be run in the interim, because there was no option given to bypass the update. Since the Intuit server is now so intrusive as to control the very function of local installations of paid-for versions of its software, after 20+ years of using TT, I am considering moving to something else.

macuser_22

@kooolerking wrote:

Glad it finally worked for you.

If the software cannot "phone home" to check for updates then it will start and run without checking.  Just temporary disable internet access when starting the program (turn off WiFi or unplug the ether net cable).