Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax 2020 for Mac will not finish update nor run

TurboTax 2020 for Mac worked ok when filing back in April 2021, but now in Sept 2021 it tries to update when I open it, but won't finish installing, rather it just quits each time. Same Mac, same Mojave OS, etc. as before, but it will not run. What is the fix for this?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Well this is a holiday weekend so anything is possible ... I have not seen any other MAC issues posted recently.  Call TT  support tomorrow if you still have an issue.  

Hello ...  @macuser_22  do you know anything ???

View solution in original post

It must have been a website or server issue being down over the weekend' when I tried again after the holiday, the update worked as-expected.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Thanks, but I have already tried the standard troubleshooting, and it does not work to resolve the issue I am experiencing.

To clarify, TT2020 for Mac upon opening gives no option other than to download and install the latest update (250.3MB).  After it extracts the update, it then prompts me to "install and relaunch", after clicking the button, it sits there for a few seconds, then it closes TT2020 completely without installing the update nor "relaunching".

I cannot even run TT2020 without it forcing this "update" process which cannot be completed. TT2020 worked fine when I last used it on this same computer in April of this year, and I have not changed or added any security-related software or settings since that time.

Is the Intuit update website down at this time or is this a known bug in TT2020 for Mac? Will there be a fix? 

Well this is a holiday weekend so anything is possible ... I have not seen any other MAC issues posted recently.  Call TT  support tomorrow if you still have an issue.  

Hello ...  @macuser_22  do you know anything ???

@kooolerking wrote:

Thanks, but I have already tried the standard troubleshooting, and it does not work to resolve the issue I am experiencing.

To clarify, TT2020 for Mac upon opening gives no option other than to download and install the latest update (250.3MB).  After it extracts the update, it then prompts me to "install and relaunch", after clicking the button, it sits there for a few seconds, then it closes TT2020 completely without installing the update nor "relaunching".

I cannot even run TT2020 without it forcing this "update" process which cannot be completed. TT2020 worked fine when I last used it on this same computer in April of this year, and I have not changed or added any security-related software or settings since that time.

Is the Intuit update website down at this time or is this a known bug in TT2020 for Mac? Will there be a fix? 

It sounds like you probably have Corruption could have occurred in the Application or in an associated preference or support file.

The best remedy is to totally uninstall TurboTax and all associate files and then re-install. That will not delete or change any .tax2020 data file that had already been created with the tax data.

To uninstall the application and all associated files need to be deleted and then the application reinstalled. If there was a state then the state must also be reinstalled.

To remove TurboTax from your computer, you'll need administrative rights.

ALL these files must be deleted.

Here is a FAQ for how to uninstall Mac
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901210-remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901209-reinstall-turbotax-maca corrupted support file.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

It must have been a website or server issue being down over the weekend' when I tried again after the holiday, the update worked as-expected.

Uninstalling and re-installing the software as a "one-size-fits all" response would have been a waste of time for this situation. The update finally worked as-expected a few days later after the holiday was over, so it must have been an Intuit server issue.

The frustrating thing was that the TT software could not even be run in the interim, because there was no option given to bypass the update. Since the Intuit server is now so intrusive as to control the very function of local installations of paid-for versions of its software, after 20+ years of using TT, I am considering moving to something else.

@kooolerking wrote:

Uninstalling and re-installing the software as a "one-size-fits all" response would have been a waste of time for this situation. The update finally worked as-expected a few days later after the holiday was over, so it must have been an Intuit server issue.

The frustrating thing was that the TT software could not even be run in the interim, because there was no option given to bypass the update. Since the Intuit server is now so intrusive as to control the very function of local installations of paid-for versions of its software, after 20+ years of using TT, I am considering moving to something else.

Glad it finally worked for you.

If the software cannot "phone home" to check for updates then it will start and run without checking.  Just temporary disable internet access when starting the program (turn off WiFi or unplug the ether net cable).

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies