turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

qun_lu

Turbo tax is running very slow

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I am running Turbotax Home & Business for Mac 2018 and it is frustratingly slow. I am running on a Mac Pro 2009 with SSD and 24 GB RAM. All my other apps are general quick and responsive but Turbotax has always been sluggish over the years. They need to rewrite the code or optimize it. The Mac spinning pinwheel shows up often in Turbotax. My tax files are usually only 8MB so it's not like I'm trying to edit a 12GB JPG in PHotoshop. 

TurboTax 2018 Minimum System Requirements

Mac

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899173-minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-mac-software

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Yes..You are right!

I have been using TurboTax software for almost 15 years. This is the first time this 2018 edition is very slow.

Do not have any idea why. 

That's one issue...The other one is that when you download updates, and you click on "continue using turbotax" it simply closes the program, and you have to start all over again...Something rare things...!

I do have the minimum software requirements. 128 Gig SSD Hard Drive, 12 gig of memory, 4.20 Ghz i7 processor, Windows 10 Pro 64,  and still it very slow.  

First time in Turbo Tax history...Mmmmm....very rare glitch....!

To ensure TurboTax installs and runs successfully, please complete all of the following steps:

• Make sure your computer meets the minimum system requirements.
  • Verify that you have administrator rights on your computer and TurboTax is Running as Administrator:
    • Right-click the TurboTax icon or setup icon, and select Properties. In the Compatibility tab, check the Run as Administrator box and click OK.
  • Check your TurboTax CD and computer's CD drive, if you're installing from the CD.
  • Clean up and defragment your hard drive.
  • Run Windows Update to keep your system up-to-date.
  • Update your system's hardware drivers.
  • Update your security software for firewall, virus, and spyware protection.
  • Close all browser windows and programs before installing.

Less obvious things you should know include:

• You should not install TurboTax on a removable flash or thumb drive. 
  • It's important to turn off your firewall and virus-detection software before installing. (Remember to turn it back on after installation.)
  • Removing unused firewall and virus-detection programs from your computer can help you avoid potential problems. Though outdated and no longer used, they can still wreak havoc on an installation.

http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/go/SLN63018

Troubleshoot Installing and Running TurboTax on Windows

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899518

You may also want to try a forced uninstall. See this TurboTax support FAQ - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901054-forcefully-uninstall-and-reinstall-turbotax

(For Desktop Software users, Windows only): hard to know.....The issue with the shutdown and restart after an update has hit a few folks over the past few years.  Not sure anyone has figured it out yet.

But that one, and the slow operation could be related to the SSD.  Early in both of the past two tax years, folks with SSDs have encountered issues...sometimes just starting up, sometimes when accessing certain particular sections of the software, and maybe it's cropped up again.

....like, when entering Quarterly Estimates on the Deductions&Credits page.  ...If you try to go in and make entries in the State Quarterly Estimates for 2018, you get immediate access to the entries......BUT, if you start into the Federal Quarterly Estimates for 2018, you'll have to wait some time (even on my non-SSD computer) with rotating blue circles and a "Please Wait"....but earlier this year, for some SSD systems, the software would Choke&Crash at that point  (I think it was some new SSD drivers).

For 2017 tax year preps, some early major TTX install problems occurred for SSD systems that were set up to use dynamic RAM...and if you are using Dynamic RAM, that could be cropping up again.  As a suggestion, when running TTX, try to make sure it's the only program running.  Yeah, I have to open other things, like my Excel charity worksheets and such...but I try to keep them at a minimum. 

Other than those random "thoughts", you could call TTX Customer Support and let them cover some things with you over the phone.  Some of these issues won't get fixed until CS has users that call in and investigate with the particular computer system being used, so they can see if it is a general issue, or one taht is specific to certain setups.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Yes... 

After any update ....."re-start Turbotax.." and it simply closes the program...

You (and I) have to open again the icon, to open the program again...

Mmm...check it out!!

Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies