turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo tax inserted a pin for filing my 2020 taxes WHERE DID IT COME FROM?

Hi,

I noticed that Turbo Tax inserted a pin for filing my taxes electronically. I never received a pin from the IRS, so I don't know where the one used comes from. I tried calling but there are no live agents to help.

I don't want my taxes to be rejected because of this pin. I was wondering if it is necessary or if I should just erase it. I cannot remember if last year was there or not.  So, Please someone shed light on this subject.  Thank you very much.

DH

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
RayW7
Expert Alumni

The IRS has discontinued the e-filing PIN option. To verify your identity for e-filing, you’ll need to use last years AGI. 

It appears you have filed, or are ready to e-file, so I assume the AGI was correct.

For more information please click the link below.

What happened to the e-filing PIN? - Community

If you need help with last years AGI-

The IRS requires your 2019 AGI to verify your identity for e-filing. If you're paper-filing your return, you won't need your AGI because those are manually processed.

There are a few places you can get your 2019 AGI:

• If you filed your 2019 taxes with TurboTax, sign in and go down to Your tax returns & documents. Select View adjusted gross income (AGI).
  • If you didn’t file your taxes with TurboTax in 2019, the best place to get last year's AGI is from the 1040 form you filed with the IRS. Look on line 8b. If you filed a 1040NR, it'll be on line 35.
  • If you're having trouble locating your 2019 return, the second-best place to get your AGI is from the IRS. You can order a free transcript of your return at the IRS Get Transcript site or you can purchase a full copy of your 2019 return. Both versions will include your AGI.

If you didn't file a 2019 federal tax return (or you haven't filed one yet), enter 0 as your AGI.

......but there IS a regular 5-digit PIN that transfers in from the prior year's tax file...if there was one in that year's forms. That PIN is different form the 6-digit IP-PIN and is entered in a different spot.

Maybe you did not remember that you used one, or if you are married, perhaps your spouse filed it last year and set one up at that time.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Hello,

Thanks for answering.  Yes, I am ready to file and when sign the return page opened up, I noticed 5 numbers in the pin box.

I don't think I had a pin last year, or I never noticed. In my return printout, there was nothing in the pin space.

I went on the IRS page and they seem to say that I need to put my AGI or a pin.  I was never given a pin by the IRS by the way.

I really do not know what to do.

Where did turbo tax get those 5 digits? There is no specific space to insert the AGI. Should I put it where the pin goes?

Thank you for the help.

DH

Hi,

Thanks for the answer.  I did not put one in, and unfortunately, I did not pay attention if turbo tax did.  On the printed copy though there is nothing in the space of the pin.

Now I am in a conundrum, if the program inserts these 5 digits, does it mean it used them last year? And, where would I put 2019 AGI in any case. I don't see a space for it.

thanks

DH

1) the printed copy will only show the 6-digit  IP-PIN  that you enter ..IF the IRS issued one to you. The regular 5-digit PIN is only used for e-filing, so it doesn't show up on the printed copy

2)   IF a 5-digit PIN shows up during yorufili9ng steps in the software, then that is "supposedly" what was used last year, and the 2019 AGI isn't needed.

3) The only potential problem with #2, is if you filed someone else's tax return last year  (child or relative or friend), and started this year's tax file by transferring in their 2019 tax return by mistake.....then the PIN isn't yours.

4)  you can go ahead and file with it...the worst that can happen is

a) it is rejected, or

b) You are in too much of a rush to file ( you are ), and the tax filing is  "accepted", but  you get some more tax documents in the next two weeks or so that you were "supposed" to include (but that's not related to the PIN) .

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Hi,

Thanks again for answering. I am filing for myself, so no problem there. I understand about the pin, and that is ok. I could not find where to enter the AGI for last year.  However, when a comparison page between 2019 and 2020 appeared, the AGI was there and it was correct.

I don't know if that code should be used, as you say that "supposedly" it is correct. The last thing I want is to have to deal with the IRS whose workforce is fed up and overworked (probably quite pissed).

Turbo tax used to have live agents answering phones. Now they are gone unless you pay.

I do thank you for the answer and I will have to just risk it and send it off with that pin.

ciao

DH

the self select PIN is five digits and you choose it for next year.

in the past most TurboTax user never could find their PIN.

Maybe they've changed to make it more visible.

If you didn't pick one last year and what you see is left over from 2018 it won't work. clear that field, after writing down what you see.

to use AGI to file make the PIN field empty.

to file using PIN make the AGI field empty.

you should also be offered to select again for 2021

davidsaquing
Returning Member

Hi,

Quick question,  I filed paper return last year, so I'm assuming I don't have any pin but this year I'm doing an efile but getting a rejection from fed and state.  How to I make turbo tax to not send any pin from  last year but only the AGI?  Thanks. 

@davidsaquing wrote:

Hi,

Quick question,  I filed paper return last year, so I'm assuming I don't have any pin but this year I'm doing an efile but getting a rejection from fed and state.  How to I make turbo tax to not send any pin from  last year but only the AGI?  Thanks. 

If the  federal tax return is being rejected by the IRS for the 2019 AGI then there is a very good possibility that the IRS does not have the 2019 AGI for your Social Security number in their database.

Enter a 0 (zero) for the 2019 AGI and e-file the 2020 tax return again.

davidsaquing
Returning Member

hi,

thanks for the quick reply.  I checked my account in the IRS website and my AGI it there and that's what I'm using.  But I filed paper return last year and I suspecting Turbotax is sending a pin from last year that's not in IRS since I filed a paper return.  Hope this make sense.  Thanks agian.

But the IRS took a Long time last year to process returns, especially mailed returns so the AGI didn't get entered in time in the right database to verify 2020.   Just try entering 0 for the AGI to efile.  That has been working for most people this year.  

@davidsaquing wrote:

hi,

thanks for the quick reply.  I checked my account in the IRS website and my AGI it there and that's what I'm using.  But I filed paper return last year and I suspecting Turbotax is sending a pin from last year that's not in IRS since I filed a paper return.  Hope this make sense.  Thanks agian.

You should be able to enter any 5 digit self-selected PIN and the 2019 AGI to get the 2020 federal tax return accepted by the IRS.  Since it being rejected give the 0 (zero) AGI a try and e-file again.

If this is also rejected then if you have the 5 digit PIN from a prior e-filed return try that and the 2019 AGI.

Otherwise you will have to print and mail the tax returns.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for printing a tax return for mailing when using the online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies