Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DrG6
Returning Member

Transferring turbotax to a new computer

I have followed the directions to transfer TurboTax2020 to a new computer but this is what I'm encountering:

1. I put "program folder" and "application" on a thumb drive

2. Inserted thumb drive into new computer and transferred the program folder and application

3. When I open the TurboTax 2020 application and click on "open tax return," it takes me to the program folder

4. I click on the program folder and it takes to me to 4 more folders and those folders contain A LOT of files

Can anyone provide some clear directions on what to do?

I appreciate any help with this--been hours trying to do something that seems like it should be simple!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Where did you get those directions? You can't do it that way. You have to install the TurboTax program on the new computer from the CD or download, the same way that you installed it on the old computer.

How to install TurboTax on Windows

DrG6
Returning Member

I got directions from this community!!

TurboTax 2020 is installed on my new computer.

When I click on open new file, there is nothing there.

So, I go to the File folder on my computer and click on the transferred folder TurboTax 2020.

When I open the transferred folder, there are a jillion files as I was explaining. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

To open your 2020 tax returns, the files you need are your tax return data files. You have to copy the data files from the old computer to the new computer. The data files for 2020 tax returns have a file name extension of .tax2020. The default folder that they would be in is Documents\TurboTax, but you could have saved them in another folder. If you can't find them, search the entire hard drive on the old computer for *.tax2020.

TurboTax will not automatically find tax return data files that it did not save on the same computer. To open a .tax2020 file that you copied from the old computer, navigate to the folder that you copied it to and select the file.

Transferring turbotax to a new computer?

Carl
Level 15

Three simple steps:

- First, install the TurboTax program on the new computer. If your return includes one or more state returns, you must also install the modules for all states included in the tax return.

- Next, copy the .tax2021 from from the documents/turbotax directory on the old computer, to the same location on the new computer.

- Finally, open the TurboTax program on the new computer and if necessary, select FILE then OPEN, navigate to the documents\turbotax directory, select your .tax2021 file and open it.

You're done.

For Windows. Your tax files end in .tax or starting in 2008, .tax2008, .tax2018, .tax2019, .tax2020 etc. They should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder. You should also have the pdf files of each year. Or search your computer for all files ending in .tax. Also if you haven't done it, I would open each year in the program and save it as a pdf file, go to FILE - SAVE TO PDF so you don't need the program installed to view your return.

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents. That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored. Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them. Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.

You only need the tax return data file ending in .tax2020 to transfer into 2021.

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-move-my-tax-data-file-to-another-compu...

After you get the program reinstalled the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW). Enter some basic information, then go to the state tab and download the state program. Then try to open your existing return, go to FILE - OPEN

Pretty much useless information. When I log into Turbotax it does not show any of my current software to download to my new computer. There is not help or chat to help me find the already paid for and used 2022 Business and Personal Turbotax apps.

@paulnmears If you purchased TurboTax desktop software at any time in the prior three years, the software will be available to download when you sign onto your download account - https://shopping.turbotax.intuit.com/unified/downloads?route=myaccounts&cgcview=downloads

BBCarroll

On the point about download the states.   On the original computer, I had 2 - the free one & the one I paid for.   So on the new computer, I can redownload the free one, but what about the other?   Can I move that over?   How do I not repurchase it?

jwilock

I just bought a new PC and have the same  problem of moving older versions of turbo tax, and associated files, to the new pc. I believe I know how to move the files. But how to I get my older versions of Turbo Tax (2020, 2021, and 2022) to the new PC. When I log on and look at downloads it shows I have downloaded them already. Sure, to my old PC. But I don't see any way to download them again. When I enter a key code for a priorr year it says I have already downloaded that software. Anyone  out there know how I can get these older versions of the software moved form my old desktop to my new one, or how to download them again to my new PC?

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

You can make copies of your tax data files for your prior year returns, and move them to your new computer.

See the TurboTax Help article How do I move my tax data file to another computer? for guidance.

@jwilock 

@jwilock   You only need the file ending in .tax2022 to transfer into 2023.

Your tax files end in .tax or .tax2020 or .tax2021 or .tax2022 etc.  They should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder.  You should also have the pdf files of each year.  Or search your computer for all files ending in .tax.  Also if you haven't done it,  I would open each year in the program and save it as a PDF file, go to File-Save to PDF so you don't need the program installed to view or print your return in the future like to get a mortgage or loan, etc.

You don't need to install the prior year programs unless you need to amend or open a return.  They only support the last 3 years so you might not be able to update older years or download any state programs you need.

jwilock

Sorry I guess I didn't make this clear enough. I'm pretty sure I know how to find my tax files from prior years, and how to move them to my new PC.  What I am looking for is an answer on how to move old versions of the TurboTax software. I purchased every year of software going back for a decade or more. What I want to do is "move" or reinstall the 2022 and 2021 versions (maybe 2020 as well) on my new computer. Can anyone here help me with that?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@jwilock wrote:

When I log on and look at downloads it shows I have downloaded them already. Sure, to my old PC. But I don't see any way to download them again. When I enter a key code for a priorr year it says I have already downloaded that software. Anyone  out there know how I can get these older versions of the software moved form my old desktop to my new one, or how to download them again to my new PC?

@jwilock  Did you buy the downloads from TurboTax.com or from somewhere else?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies