Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

To protect you from identity theft, your tax return is currently being reviewed. To help us process your return more quickly, verify your identity and tax return inform

Has anyone saw this message?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

144 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

To protect you from identity theft, your tax return is currently being reviewed. To help us process your return more quickly, verify your identity and tax return inform

This is an Ohio State issue.  It appears to have been implemented by the state due to high volumes of fraud.  

Per the Ohio Department of Taxation:

With income tax fraud and identity theft on the rise, the Ohio Department of Taxation (ODT) is committed to safeguarding taxpayer dollars by increasing security measures. The identity verification letter is just one of the tools ODT is using to prevent fraudsters from receiving a refund as a result of identity theft.

Click here for Ohio State information on "Where Is My Refund?

Click here for information on the Ohio "Identity Verification Letter".

This is at the Federal level, not state. 

I received the same notice when checking my refund. I logged in with id.me to verify and this is what it said: "We are not able to provide assistance to you via the identity verification tool."

I have no idea what this is. 

Also got the same message, and then when I tried to use their Verify ID Me service, it said they were unable to do so?? Any idea on what to do?

I‘m getting the same messages.  I was able to  verify with id.me, and no luck on more information 

I received the same message when trying to track my federal return. However, my state (Va) return has been accepted. Hopefully someone has an answer for this soon. Oh also I couldn’t verify myself identity with ID.me either. 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Here is an FAQ about handling identity verification requests from the IRS.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I called the IRS number to verify my identity and they said there's a glitch for those who filed early. They aren't sure if it'll be resolved or if letters will go out, but we'll have to wait a few weeks. 

I had a feeling this was the case. I called today to verify my account, and see if there was a letter going out. The Taxpayer protection program is the best number to call. They informed me that I did not have a letter sent, which made me believe this was a glitch even more. 

User-MGR
Returning Member

• I got the same thing. No letter in mail, yet. Did you find an answer?

Sounds like there is a glitch in the system for those of us who were able to file early. I have been told that I do not need to verify my identity, and that there was not a letter sent to me to do such. I haven’t gotten a clear answer on if there actually will be a delay in receiving my refund because of this though. 

Did you have another response yet? I have the same response in my get my refund page and I don’t know what to do. 

No new response. The agent at IRS said it'll take weeks to sort out. 

Do they know this a problem? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies