Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sjsogaard

The system won't let me finish. It says I need a form 1095-A for my health insurance. I was given the 1095-B and have filled out the information. It keeps sending me back to that question and not letting me file. I've done everything else. What do I

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
KatieB

The system won't let me finish. It says I need a form 1095-A for my health insurance. I was given the 1095-B and have filled out the information. It keeps sending me back to that question and not letting me file. I've done everything else. What do I

What did you answer when asked what type of health coverage you had?
TeresaM
Expert Alumni

TurboTax must think someone had Marketplace insurance. Please return to the Health Insurance section and follow these instructions, if you did not have Marketplace or a 1095-A.  Turbo Tax will walk you through the questions for health insurance.

• Click on the Federal Taxes tab and select Health Insurance
  • When asked if you had health insurance in 2016, select either all year or you will pick who and what months, and Continue.
  • When asked about being enrolled in any of these less common plans in 2016, select No, if you were covered through your work or state coverage that generates a 1095 B or C.  The 1095-B and the 1095-C do not need to be entered into your return.  They are for informational purposes.

If it is stuck in a loop and will not show you the screen to answer No, try going to the 1st screen and select something different than your first answer.  For instance, if you answered all year, try pick who and what months.  This should reset the questions, so you can select No on the less common plans screen.  Then you can return to the beginning and select the correct option, as it will have you out of the loop.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
t-pedroza

what did you end up doing

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Try deleting the form. You may have begun unnecessary entries.

1. Under Tax Tools, choose Tools
  2. Choose Delete a Form
  3. Scroll through your return until you find Form 1095, click Delete to the right of the form
  4. Confirm that you wish to delete the form

Only the 1095-A needs to be entered on your return from insurance purchased through the marketplace. If you received a different 1095 form, such as one from employer benefits, you do not need to enter anything on your return. It is for your records only.

If you purchased insurance through the marketplace and received a 1095-A, that must still be reported on your return.This will calculate the Net Premium Tax Credit on Form 8962. This form reconciles the amount of the credit available to you with the amount already received as an Advance Premium Tax Credit. The result could be additional credit owed to you, or you may have to repay any amount already received in advance. Because of either of these results, it is important for taxpayers to include the information from Form 1095-A on their return.

Follow these steps:

• Click on Deductions & Credits under Federal
  • Under the menu for Medical, click Start/Revisit next to Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A)
  • Answer Yes indicating that you have the form to enter
  • Complete the information on the next screen to match your form and click continue
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Vadac

Thank you thank you thank you!!! I talked to many experts trying to figure this out! 

KD07

Any advice for 2021 tax years? I’ve answer all the HSA questions the same as in the past and continue to get rejected due to not entering 1095-a (which I am not required to do)

RaifH
Expert Alumni

If you are getting rejected with an error code of F8962-070 it is because the IRS believes that you or someone on your return received health insurance through the marketplace in 2021. This may be the case if anyone is listed as a covered individual on a marketplace insurance policy, even if the main individual is not on your tax return. Someone may be on the insurance plan of an ex-spouse, a former partner if they have a child together, or on their parent's insurance if they are under 26. 

If anyone in your family has an account on Healthcare.gov, they will want to check to verify there is no 1095-A for 2021. If no one in your family was covered by marketplace insurance at any point in 2021, this has worked for some:

1. Click Deductions and Credits
  2. Scroll down to Medical and Click Show More
  3. Click Start or Revisit next to the Affordable Care Act
  4. As you walk through the questions, you will be asked if you received a 1095-A.  If you did NOT, click YES.
  5. Enter your 2 letter state code for the Marketplace identifier and 0's as the Policy number.
  6. Enter $1 for January monthly premium amount and SLCSP. Enter 0 for the Monthly Advance Payment of Premium Tax Credit for January.
  7. Continue to the end and submit your return. 

Entering $1 for your January premium will not impact your return and it should get past the IRS automatically rejecting it for not having the marketplace forms attached to your return. However, if Form 1095-A was issued for yourself or a member of your family, filing without the real form will cause a delay and possibly an automatic change to your tax refund by the IRS.

@KD07

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies