turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I added a w2 after I filed on TurboTax now I have 2 refund amounts, which amount is the correct one that I’ll be getting back?!

Track my refund is only pulling up the original amount that I had before I went back and added the other w2....so will I get the original amount or the amount after I added the w2

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I added a w2 after I filed on TurboTax now I have 2 refund amounts, which amount is the correct one that I’ll be getting back?!

Once the original tax return has been filed and accepted by the IRS, you cannot just add more income and file your tax return again since it cannot be e-filed again.  Delete the W-2 you added to the original tax return.

You will need to amend the 2018 tax return to add the additional W-2.  An amended federal tax return, Form 1040X, can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.  The IRS will take up to 4 months or longer to process the amended tax return.  If taxes are owed after completing the amended return, you send a check with the amended return when it is mailed.  If the amended return has a tax refund, then the IRS will send you a refund check in the mail for the refund, the refund cannot be direct deposited.

The tax return should not be amended until the tax refund has been received from the IRS.

The IRS Form 1040X is estimated to be available on 02/28/2019.  See this TurboTax website for IRS forms availability - https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Once the original tax return has been filed and accepted by the IRS, you cannot just add more income and file your tax return again since it cannot be e-filed again.  Delete the W-2 you added to the original tax return.

You will need to amend the 2018 tax return to add the additional W-2.  An amended federal tax return, Form 1040X, can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.  The IRS will take up to 4 months or longer to process the amended tax return.  If taxes are owed after completing the amended return, you send a check with the amended return when it is mailed.  If the amended return has a tax refund, then the IRS will send you a refund check in the mail for the refund, the refund cannot be direct deposited.

The tax return should not be amended until the tax refund has been received from the IRS.

The IRS Form 1040X is estimated to be available on 02/28/2019.  See this TurboTax website for IRS forms availability - https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

I actually added the last w2 the day after while it was still pending...it wasn’t accepted until 2-3 days after

The problem is the same.  Even when the return was pending it cannot be changed since the return was already e-filed.  If the return had been rejected by the IRS then you could add the W-2 and re-file.  But since it has been accepted you can only amend the return to add the additional W-2.

I see...thank you!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies