turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The IRS found a miscalculation on my form 1040SR!

I need help
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

The IRS notice or letter you received in the mail from the IRS should explain what the IRS changed on your tax return.

What Line number on the Form 1040 has been changed by the IRS and why?

The IRS changed lines 30, 32, 34, 35 and 37 of my form 1040-SR.  They did not tell me why other than they found a miscalculation. By the way; TURBOTAX guaranties that my tax return is error free.

@robertsmeaton wrote:

The IRS changed lines 30, 32, 34, 35 and 37 of my form 1040-SR.  They did not tell me why other than they found a miscalculation. By the way; TURBOTAX guaranties that my tax return is error free.

Line 30 on the Form 1040 is the Recovery Rebate Credit.  This is the amount of the stimulus payments 1 and 2 that you indicated using the TurboTax software that you did NOT receive.  

Apparently the IRS has information in their database indicating you did receive either all or a portion of the Credit claimed on Line 30.  Changing the amount on Line 30 affects all the other lines you mentioned in your post.

Go to this IRS website for your Tax Account to see the stimulus payments made to you - https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

If you did not receive these payments go to this IRS website for how to start a trace on the payments - https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/second-eip-faqs

TurboTax guarantees that all calculations based on the data entered by the user of the software are 100% Accurate.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the 100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/what-is-the-turbotax-100-accurate-calculatio...

@robertsmeaton wrote:

You claimed a recovery rebate in excess of what you were allowed.  One of the reasons this will happen is if you tell Turbotax you did not receive the round 1 and round 2 stimulus payments when the IRS records say they sent the payments.  It could be the payment was sent to the wrong bank account, or to an IRS debit card that was lost or stolen in the mail, or was taken for past due child support.  

If the IRS thinks they paid the stimulus, you can't claim it on your tax return even if you never received it.  You must trace the original payments instead. 

OK ... so they changed the amount of the stimulus credit which cascaded down the rest of the form.  The program asks you  to enter the amount of stimulus payments you got in advance so if you entered the wrong amount this was not a TT error and is not covered by the accuracy guarantee.  

Now if you disagree with the IRS's position on how much stimulus money you got in advance you need to have a trace put on the check(s) ...  

Maybe it went to an account you don't remember. Or you got a check or a card. It was probably easy to miss the debit card in the mail and think it was junk mail. They have to put a trace on it.

How to put a trace on a missing 1st or 2nd Stimulus payment.  IRS for Payment Issued but Lost, Stolen, Destroyed or Not Received

See question F3 here, you can expand it to see how to put a trace on it.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2020-recovery-rebate-credit-topic-f-finding-the-first-and-second-econom...

I received both of my stimulus payments. The first one was $1,181.05 and the second one was $581.05.  The IRS sent me a CP11 notice telling me that I have an amount due to them of $145.93. If you agree this is correct I will pay it and be done with it.

Robert Smeaton

TurboTax has a special phone number for help with IRS/state tax letters, which will be easier than going through regular Customer Support.   At the page below, click on the blue button that says "Get Help from TurboTax Support".  Then it will ask you what tax year is your letter.  Then it will ask you what the letter concerns. Then it will show you the phone number during posted business hours.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies