Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dusty7856

My total state refund is less than actual because, Turbo Tax has subtracted money I owe to federal from my state refund. Why is that?

I have not finished the “Final Steps “ for my 2018 return.

I get refund money for 2018 from state in the amout of $2203.00.  But I owe federal $1440.00.

In the final step on the “payment window” in Turbo Tax where it says “you are almost ready to file “ it shows my my total refund of $763.00.  This is the difference between my state refund and federal that I owe.

Do I actually receive $2203 from state or $763 if I go through the final step in completing my return.  Is it possible that my computer was hacked?  I don’t know and i am apprehensive.

Would you please tell me what I need to do.  Thanks 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My total state refund is less than actual because, Turbo Tax has subtracted money I owe to federal from my state refund. Why is that?

That first picture just shows you the NET amount of refund you will get....you still get the whole $2203 refund from CA...but once you pay the federal $1440, its showing you what you really end up with overall.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

4 Replies

That is just a visual indication of the total you are receiving.  It does not mean that the Federal taxes owed are being deducted from the State tax refund.   You still have to pay the taxes owed and you will still receive your full tax refund.
dusty7856

Thanks

That first picture just shows you the NET amount of refund you will get....you still get the whole $2203 refund from CA...but once you pay the federal $1440, its showing you what you really end up with overall.

Its a poorly designed layout and confuses more people that it helps.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies