turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DanaMarc103
Returning Member

My taxes were rejected for not meeting the MFS eligibility requirement on form 2441. My wife and I live together and have 1 dependent, whom I am claiming.

My wife and I live together and are not separated. We are filing MFS because it works better for her student loans. We have 1 child dependent, whom I am claiming. I did have a childcare/dependent care FSA last year because we didn't know if we would be MFJ or MFS this year, so that amount is on my W-2 (box 10).

My taxes have been rejected several times because I don't meet the eligibility requirements to have form 2441. Error message says:

F2441-022 - If filing status of the return is Married Filing Separately and Form 2441 'CreditForChildAndDepdCareAmt' has a non-zero value, then 'EligibilityRequirementMetInd' must be checked.

We are not separated, etc, so the eligibility check-box should NOT be checked (it is not). I did add the amount on form 2441 line 12 to form 2441 line 14, since it was explained to me that I was not eligible for that amount.  But my taxes are still getting rejected.

We do have 1 dependent, who is not present at all on my wife's (already-accepted) returns. I am claiming our dependent. Form 2441 is triggered by TT to be present in my returns.

What changes do I need to make so that my returns are accepted?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

My taxes were rejected for not meeting the MFS eligibility requirement on form 2441. My wife and I live together and have 1 dependent, whom I am claiming.

Delete the 2441 since you are not eligible for the Child and Dependent Care Credit. 

You do not use 2441 to legitimatize the FSA. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4864554

DanaMarc103
Returning Member

Thanks!
TT triggered form 2441 because there is an amount in box 10 on my W-2.  So I should manually delete it in my return even though it results from the W-2?  If yes, how?

I am asking because I already tried deleting it manually and the form remains, but the content is removed (it is now a blank form in my return).  Then in the review, TT tells me that there are unaddressed areas, and all of them are on that form.

Regarding paragraph 3 in TurboTaxAnnaB's statement ("When you prepare your tax returns..."):  does that only apply if both of us put money into an FSA (paragraph 2)?  
If not:  my wife's returns were already accepted.  She answered the questions as prompted in TT and TT didn't include our dependent.  Does that mean that she needs to file an amended return?

If you live together and file MFS you cannot claim child care credit. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies