turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

banhbao

Can 1099-B with 0$ (only brokered CD, no stock) be ignored?

Hello, my income in 2017 only have 2 items: interest from bank and brokered CD. The bank issued the 1099-B for only the brokered CD (I didn't sell any stock).

In 1099-B, wrote:

2017 PROCEEDS FROM BROKER & BARTER EXCHANGE TRANSACTIONS

COVERED TRANSACTIONS - Cost basis reported to IRS - Form 8949, Part I, (A)
SHORT TERM CAPITAL GAINS AND LOSSES - 1099-B Line 2 - Box 6 Net Proceeds

This CD only has interest at maturity. The box 1d (proceeds) contain the CD brokered value (xyz $). Since the CD was redeem so the box gain/lost = 0$. The CD interest was shown in 1099-INT. So, in this case, can I ignore 1099-B and form 8949? Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
ToddL

You are only required to report income on your tax return, so you do not have to report a Form 1099-B that doesn't have an amount in Box 1d (Sales Price).

If you fail to report the 1099-INT, the IRS will send you an automated Notice of Proposed Increase in Taxes later this year. 

They will calculate the tax due (plus interest and penalties) and you can send them a check. No amended return is necessary, so you won't have to upgrade.

The IRS uses this simplified procedure since It is extremely common to omit reporting a Form 1099. You file before they arrive, they get lost in the mail, get lost in your house, are imbedded in your brokerage statement or get tossed along with junk mail. 

banhbao

Hello, thanks for your answer. I have just updated the question for more clear. Please help to review and advice. Thank you.
ToddL

I'm not sure how the IRS automated system will handle a 1099-B with sales price = cost basis. I know they check to see if you have reported the amount shown in 1d, since it is income but they may not looking further than that box (since they only check for income). You can skip it and see if they send you an automated notice later in the year. If so, it is possible you might be able to report the cost basis by letter, rather than having to file an amended return.
banhbao

Thanks for your answer. I'm a little bit confuse. For income tax, IRS should look to gain/lost, right? The tax should be on "gain", right? Anyway, if that case happen (automated notice later), what form should I use to report and clarify it is a CD, not stock? For the letter, the IRS agent will read it or automate machine? Normally, for everyone, for brokered CD, which form did they receive? I'm not sure this is the mistake from my broker (Merrill Edge) or this is the stuff all broker will do? Thank you.
ToddL

The IRS doesn't want to calculate your gain/loss - they just want to make sure you report your income. They got the 1099-B from Merrill Edge and will be looking for it on your return - all automated process

It is not a problem. enter cost = N and basis = N. the net gain is zero.
If you are concerned about upgrading at some cost to you, leave it off
I don't think the IRS is going to come after you for a gain of zero.
They have better things to do.
migldl1

I have the same situation this year. What was the outcome? 

One of my clients just received a notice from the IRS due to this situation. I will respond with the 1099B support reflecting a zero gain in order to resolve it, but my advice is to report it regardless, even without a gain, in order to avoid time and trouble resolving in the future. 

While initial and follow up questions may be outdated, providing some input in case anyone else has this situation, which is not uncommon. [Comment removed]. 

@MarziglianoCPAServicesOnline 

You are in violation of the rules on this forum ... you are not allowed to advertise your business ... please change your user name and remove the website/email link before the monitor bans your account. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

brokers do report CD activity on 1099B. to avoid issues because the IRS is trying to tie total proceeds and cost reported to it to total proceeds and cost reported on your return, you must enter or import $0 gain transactions. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies