Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: When will the energy efficient vehicles form be available?

The date when the form would be available for e-file from the IRS has been pushed back. (see: List of available IRS e-file forms.

We will provide an update as soon as we are able to do so, and we apologize for the inconvenience.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Tax Year Prior to 2020: When will the energy efficient vehicles form be available?

Form 8834 is available for qualified electric vehicles. Why that one is not working?!

crosado

plugin hybrids need a different form

Plug in hybrid form is not available but electric vehicle form 8834 is available. TurboTax doesn’t work regardless of what kind of clean vehicle you got. I have full electric vehicle and it should work.

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

It says it should be available today 2/12/20: Here's the TuuboTax latest: Form 8834 Electric Vehicle Credit for 2019 tax filing.

You are right, it says that Form 8834  is available but when you go to Turbotax online it shows "The energy-efficient vehicles section isn't ready yet". WTF? Turbotax also removed the availability  information on Form 8936 (very cunning). All the other tax softwares already have these available. 

Turbotax you are about to lose bunch of customers....

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

Form 8834 will be in this week's release.  We do not yet have an exact date/time, which is why the form is currently absent from the list.  

I have this post on my watch list today and will return this afternoon to let you know I have learned, or sooner if I get confirmation of a release date.  

I apologize for the delays and all of the confusion about this form. 

We know it's frustrating to wait and even more frustrating when we cannot provide exact dates and times. It is important that we provide an accurate, quality product for our customers and sometimes that takes a little longer than we'd like.  ​​​​​​​

I've been checking all day since 8am as well and still nothing.. TurboTax..can you please do look into this?

What about form 8936?? It is not even listed in the availability list? It used to say available on 2/12/2020. Now it disappeared? Turbotax online doesn't have it??

Turbotax keep your promise!! 

markyr17

Very disappointed to see this not working still even online.

and what’s the status on 8936?  No mention of it anymore.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

It should be available 24 hours after the IRS approves TurboTax to use the form. Currently, the IRS has not finalized the form. Here is the IRS web page to check the status of form 8936: Available Forms and Limitations. Scroll down to Form 8936.

I called TurboTax today and they said it should be available by 11:59pm tonight, however the official IRS website says the form won’t be available until Friday, 2/14. No indication of whether it will be available by beginning of the day or not until the end of the day on 2/14. 

It is available now in the desktop versions and online should be updated in a few hours.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

The form is currently ready in TurboTax Desktop only.  It SHOULD update in TurboTax Online tonight.  Keep your fingers crossed.  It's always better if it comes early rather than late!

Thanks for the update.

Word of advise to fellow tax payers. Do not rush into a hot release of any sort. I am sure Intuit does robust testing but having patience for a couple more days won’t hurt.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies