Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Form 8834 Electric Vehicle Credit for 2019 tax filing

I purchased an electric vehicle in 2019 form Audi which still qualifies for the full $7500 tax credit.  I am now trying to file my 2019 taxes, but Turbo Tax is telling me to skip over the section because the IRS has not yet released the new form.  However, when I go to the Intuit link provided it is saying the form is available for e-filing.  I updated the Turbo tax software again today, 2/1/20, but the software is still telling me to skip the section.  Please let me how to obtain the $7500 tax credit for my 2019 tax filing.

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

69 Replies

I have the same exact problem..both IRS and turbotax website say that the form is available but I can't finalize my tax return

Anonymous
Not applicable

not ready yet in TT 

I saw an estimated TT software release date of Feb. 5.  Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Same here...waiting for the updated forms in TT, (which are available on irs.gov).

2019 purchase of a qualifying plugin electric vehicle. The E-motorcycle Federal Tax Credit was signed into law on 12/20/19. The credit covers 10% of the purchase price on a new motorcycle up to a maximum of $2,500. If you don't want to wait for TT to post the forms for this credit, I would suggest that you or your tax preparer examine these forms to claim the credit.

Form 8834 Qualified Electric Vehicle Credit
Form 8582-CR Passive Activity Credit Limitations
Instructions for Form 8582-CR

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

If you are referring to Form 8936, Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit, it will not be available until 2/12/2020.  If it's for Form 8834 Qualified Electric Vehicle Creditor Form 8582-CR Passive Activity Credit Limitations, they are available.   Click here to see updates of the tax forms: Tax forms available

The fact that the forms are available on the IRS website has nothing to do with any tax software program.  The forms are available if you are going to download from the IRS to complete it on your own.  However, e-filing is different.  Once the form is finalized by the IRS, it has to be coded into the special language the software uses and has to be thoroughly tested for calculations and e-filing acceptability.  IRS then has to approve it for e-file.  It always takes a little longer for a form to become available for e-file in a software program.  I hope this helps you understand the situation.    

@paperlessociety @dthomasson123 @Anonymous @devilex

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
RNmoises

Form 8834, Qualified Electric Vehicle Credit is not available yet in TT. In the list of "Federal individual forms available" says that it it is, but when you go to TT to try to fill it out you'll get the following message "The energy-efficient vehicles section isn't ready yet"

I guess we are just gonna have to wait.

JulieS
Expert Alumni

That is correct the Form 8936 isn't approved for e-file yet.

Click here to track updates on forms.

Yes but on YOUR website it says the form is available. It said it would be available 2/5/2020 and on the list of forms available it says it’s ready for e-file. But when I go to click on it when trying to file my taxes it gives the error message that the form isn’t yet available. So which is it? And if it’s not available then you need to update your list because it gave a date out for its availability and now it’s not working. 

JulieS
Expert Alumni

Form 8834 is for carried over (from 2018)  EV credits related to a passive activity.

If you purchased your EV in 2019, you need Form 8936, which is not ready yet. 

When will the TurboTax electric car credit form be available for the 2019 federal return

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Form 8834 Qualified Electric Vehicle Credit is available in the TurboTax product now.

If you need the similarly titled Form 8936 Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit, this form is due soon and you can check the status at this link: IRS Forms Availability in TurboTax.

Hey just so all are aware. H&R Block has the form 8936 ready for 2019 returns online already. They’ve had it for well over a week now. We ended up having to pay $30 to get this done but it was worth it over waiting on turbo tax who still does not have it ready

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

This TurboTax Help shows that Federal form 8834 currently available.

Hello,

I went into Turbo Tax today and it still says the "Energy Efficient Vehicles Section is not ready yet"  even though a Turbo Tax representative said it should be working as of yesterday.   Anyone else having this issue?   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies