turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Unable to efile due to QBI Deduction Worksheet Schedule B

Deleting the Schedule B may make it possible to efile, but you may give up the benefit of aggregating your like businesses.  Aggregating is good if each business alone does not meet the requirements for the QBI deductions, eg. the 250 hours per enterprise, vs the 250 hours for the aggregate which could be substantial.

However, the point is Turbo Tax should permit one to efile with the worksheet Schedule B--because why not?  It's just one more form to them, its essential for small business people to use, and wouldn't be that hard to include....

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Unable to efile due to QBI Deduction Worksheet Schedule B

@tol  I just tried @berger's technique, and it actually worked for me! No change to the taxes due. Thanks @berger!

I think your problem is that you tried to delete Schedule B. Instead, you need to delete the one named "Qualified Business Income Component wkst". Give it a try...

Whoa, that sounds great. How do you locate the file in order to delete it?

I've got to agree with others: this is outrageous. I've used TT for about 10 years. May have to go elsewhere next year.

@armin Go to Tax Tools / Tools / Delete a form, and look for a form by that name.

I've tried deleting this form (QBI Schedule B aggregation statement (1))  a few times, and while I don't see any errors when I click the "Delete selected form" button, it will not delete.  Is there some trick here or somewhere else I have to update to remove this "Aggregation"? 

I was successfully able to e-file after I deleted the QBI Component Worksheet.  The sheet that I deleted was one of a couple that had the same name, but it was the one that had both the elements of my aggregate listed.  Once I deleted it, TT created two new QBI Component Worksheets that each had only one element of the aggregate.  At first I was fooled because it appeared that I deleted nothing, but after careful examination I saw the difference.  Once that was done, I went back and checked my return, and was successful in being able to e-file.  I was using the desktop version of the software which I downloaded.  Hope this helps.  Best wishes!

So Berger was right...and thanks for the advice.  I deleted not Schedule B but the QBI Deduction Worksheet itself which as it turns out is not supposed to be filed with the taxes anyway but to keep for just your own records.

On my version of TT I found it under Forms which is on the upper right side corner of the program. After hitting that, it will list all of the forms used in your tax filing - just find the one that says the QBI or 8995 Wksht or some abbreviation of worksheet (gone now so don't have it listed) and then there's a button below that says "delete form". Just make sure its the QBI worksheet itself which should say "keep for your records".   I had no problem deleting this file so make sure its the correct one...and it didn't change the amount of my fed and state refunds.

I was able to e-file without problem.

Deleted the QBI Component worksheet, it allows e-file, but tax due is increased. 

Updated the software, now it's 2 days after 2/20, the SW still does not allow e-file w/ the worksheet. When can Intuit fix this?

In last year's return, there was also this worksheet, I was able to e-file, why the problem this year?

Right.  So the federal version of the form is now listed as available.  Again, when is TT going to fix this so we can efile?  And how do we actually get an answer from TT?

The worksheet that has been suggested to delete is in my list of forms, but when I check the list of forms actually filed electronically, the worksheet is not part of that.  However deleting the worksheet changes the information on the forms that actually get filed.  It may not actually change your tax due, if the QBI form is irrelevant to this year's taxes owed.  HOWEVER, the form that is filed (and you might change by deleting the worksheet) keeps track of year to year carryovers.  So if you delete the worksheet in order to file electronically, then in future years you will not be able to take advantage of any carryover that you accumulated but cannot use in 2019.

TT, Please fix this NOW or give us an honest timeline for when you will have it fixed, so that we can decide to just file on paper (booooooo!) or to wait for you.  But know that you are not earning any good will for the delay.  And stringing us along is going to make me look elsewhere for 2020 season.

This is a pretty irritating problem, even with work-arounds. It must affect many users like me (rental properties). I've been using TT for more than 15 years but I'm wondering if I should try something else. I'd be willing to pay more for a better product. Something that has a less clunky interface and better support for (very) small business users. What should I take a look at?

Turbo Tax, if you are monitoring these posts, please listen!  It would not be difficult for you to include this form especially since you have it for paper filing.  There are a whole bunch of folks affected by the new QBI law that need this form for efiling.  You just don't want to lose our business.

From working with a support rep, we eventually resolved this somewhat magically. I tried deleting the form via the Tools menu on the left sidebar, but it still persisted despite showing a successful confirmation. We eventually tried to delete the form for one of my 2 properties, which actually didn't seem to delete that property's form, but somehow did delete the aggregation form that was preventing the efile.  This didn't seem to change anything else in my return, most importantly, the total refund amounts.

Hope this helps others, despite being inexplicable. 

@amazingflowerfarm that's a very interesting point! Even though my bottom line is the same, the act of removing the worksheet did affect the return:

• Looking at my 8995-A (Qualified Business Income Deduction), it went from a single combined column to two separate columns for each of the two rental properties.
  • One form right after the 8995-A disappeared. It's titled SCHEDULE B (Form 8995-A) - Aggregation of Business Operations.

Now the question is whether this will matter for next year. In my case, line 40 of the 8995-A has value 0 (both before and after the change). This line is the "Total qualified REIT dividends and PTP (loss) carryforward.", which seems to relate to what you bring up.

So I'm going to guess it won't matter for next year in my case because it's 0? Was yours non-zero? I'm not going to claim that I really understand how any of this works... 🙂

Feb 20, 2020 has passed and I still cannot e-file due to QBI worksheet sch b

tol
Level 3

I tried the workarounds for QBI worksheet in TT for Mac.  Can't seem to delete either QBI Sched B worksheet or QBI ded summary.  "Remove form" completes, but form not deleted.

TT - we need you to fix this bug, allowing e-file, like I did last year (TT 2018) with the same rentals.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies