Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Ask the Experts about self-employment >> Event happening NOW!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Stay in USA less than 180 days

Hi there,

I'm a US citizen, due to business needs in 2017, I stayed more than 6 months in foreign countries. My understanding is, if you stayed in US for less than 180 days, you are eligible to get complete tax refund. Does turbotax offer this option to fill out the info?

2 Replies
Level 6

Stay in USA less than 180 days

Actually, there is a little more to it than that.  And TurboTax can help you figure this out.

Your time away from the US needs to be consecutive in order to be eligible to exclude wages from US income taxes.  If you were physically present in a foreign country for 330 full days during a period of 12 consecutive months, then you may qualify for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.  You can choose the 12-month period that maximizes the exclusion in the years you were not in the US.  Also, your tax home must be in a foreign country.

If you meet this test, you may receive an exclusion on your tax return of up to $102,100 of wages earned abroad.  If you don't meet the test, and paid foreign income tax abroad, you may be eligible for the Foreign Tax Credit or the Foreign Tax Deduction.  

Click the IRS link below to determine if are eligible for any exclusions or deductions:

New Member

Stay in USA less than 180 days

Hi @TurboTaxCaro - thanks for the quick response. Yes, the time I was away from the US is consecutive (less than 200 days) and my tax home is in the US. In this case, am I still eligible to get more tax refund?
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings