Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State return needed? Or us TT just trying to up-sell me?

Lived and Florida and moved to Texas.

Neither state requires a return as far as I know.

In TurboTax (windows/desktop) I get the following:

Florida Does not tax your personal income or investments

You only need to file a Florida return if:

You have business or rental property

You own business equipment or real estate

Based on your entries you probably dont need to file Florida return

Then a few pages later:

Lets take care of your state taxes

Good News you dont need to file a state return since Texas does not require a personal income tax

BUT BASED ON WHAT WE KNOW YOU STILL NEED TO COMPLETE A FLORIDA RETURN

And on the next page I am prompted to start Florida return.

Is it that

1. I need to file FL after all for some reason? If so what is it.

2. TurboTax in typical fashion is trying to upsell me on buying state return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The Florida return in TurboTax, Form DR-405, is to report tangible personal property used in connection with a Florida-located business or rental real estate and is printed and mailed to your county property appraiser's office by April 1st. 

If you do not have tangible personal property to report, choose Skip State in the State Taxes section.

If you proceeded past the warning screens, try deleting the Florida return --> https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900608

florida state.PNG

If you actually paid for the unneeded program, contact Customer Support --> https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

If you have self-employment or rental property in Florida. there is a Tangible Personal Property Tax.  Anyone who owns TPP on January 1 and who has a proprietorship, partnership, or corporation, or is a self-employed agent or a contractor, must file a tangible personal prope​rty return to the property appraiser by April 1 each year (​section 193.062, F.S.)​. Property owners who lease, lend, or rent property must also file. ​  This form is not prepared or filed by Turbo Tax so you should not add the state return.  See Tangible Personal Property (TPP).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm not sure how this relates or answers my question. I don't have any property in Florida nor have I entered any such information during TurboTax interview process.  

On one screen TT mentions that I do NOT have to fill out FL return but then it states that I DO have to fill one out.

JulieS
Expert Alumni

No, you do not need to file a Florida tax return  if none of the situations mentioned in MaryK's post apply to you. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The Florida return in TurboTax, Form DR-405, is to report tangible personal property used in connection with a Florida-located business or rental real estate and is printed and mailed to your county property appraiser's office by April 1st. 

If you do not have tangible personal property to report, choose Skip State in the State Taxes section.

If you proceeded past the warning screens, try deleting the Florida return --> https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900608

florida state.PNG

If you actually paid for the unneeded program, contact Customer Support --> https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies