turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ravnal
Returning Member

state efile charges

Hi,  I got my turbotax premire from costco which has 1 free state tax and i paid additional 40$ for another state since i am filing part time resident in 2 states.  During the turbo tax filing process it said 20$ for each state efile charge but when it came to actually processing my payment it charged me 25$ for each state.  Is the filing fee

in my case 20$ or 25$.   thx

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies

state efile charges

Today is March 1.  The state e-file fee increases from $20 to $25 in March.

E-filing fee in desktop software

Did you purchase desktop software with state software included?  They sell Deluxe both with and without state software--so you have to be careful which one you choose.  And even if it does have the state software download included, that is for preparing the state.  There is an extra fee to e-file the state.  You can avoid the state e-file fee if you print and mail the state instead of e-filing it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
LaceyHutson
Returning Member

state efile charges

After my worked was double checked (I paid an additional $90 for full support -- upfront also -- I fixed the area suggested. After that each time I tried filing them with E-FILE it gave me a message that i would have to mail it in -- what i definitely didn't want to just mail it in, this is the only reason I chose Turbo Tax so I wouldn't need to be in public during a pandemic. Anyway, it would be nice to send my 2020 taxes right from you page -- or request a refund. Anyone know how? I just keep getting sent back to this page

state efile charges

@LaceyHutson What software did you use?   If you used the CD/download you could not use the "Live" feature and get help from a CPA.   That is only available to users of online software.   And...with online, your fee is the same whether you e-file or mail the return.  The fee is not for e-filing----it is for using the software --- so you will not get a refund of your fees if you have to mail it for some reason.

If you used the CD/download and paid for the state e-file and were unable to e-file the state returns you can ask customer support for a refund of those state e-file fees.

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

Customer support is available from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Pacific time

No one in the user forum can resolve a billing issue.  If you have a question about your TurboTax fees or billing, make sure you use the word “billing” in your request for help.  Do not use the word “refund.”

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
ravnal
Returning Member

state efile charges

The problem is with the software that promises to file for 20$ but later charges 25$.   Turbotax needs to honor

what was promised if it wants to keep their customers coming back every year.   There are other choices

for me next year and I promise I am not coming back if I dont get a refund.  Thx.

state efile charges

@ravnal Every year----the early discount fees end at the end of February and go up in March, including the state e-file fee for desktop software.   I prepare returns for a number of family members and avoid the state e-filing fees by printing the state returns for them to sign and mail in.

ravnal
Returning Member

state efile charges

thank you very much for the info

state efile charges

I have always filed state by mail. This year, I decided what the heck. I'll file both Fed and State as efile since TurboTax PUSHES IT RELENTLESSLY. Well, now I know: I got nicked $25 at the last step with everything loaded and ready to go. It was quite a surprise since I haven't e-filed in 20 years of using TurboTax. All I had to do is print out 15 pages and stick them in an envelope with a check. So $85 for the Home and Business; $25 for the State and $60 for the "audit defense." Well played TT. Well played. All non-deductible of course. 

state efile charges

Perhaps we can organize and regroup in the thread ‘undisclosed state efile charges’.  

It only takes seven people with the same problem which can give substantial rise to same common issue — in other words many others were also deceived by the state filing undisclosed charges

to pursue a class action

state efile charges

Those state efiling charges are classic hidden fees.  Perhaps we can organize and regroup in the thread ‘undisclosed state efile charges’.  

It only takes seven people with the same problem which can give substantial rise to same common issue — in other words many others were also deceived by the state filing undisclosed charges

to pursue a class action

c767707

state efile charges

If the state tax e-filing charge went up March 2021, why did you not bake that into program updates? I just yesterday (5/13/21) updated the program, and when I got to the e-file step for state taxes, it advised my charge would be $20. However when I stepped through the check out process, the charge magically ballooned to $25. How am I  to reasonably know you've jacked the price if you don't update my view within the updated program? I'm not very happy about having to pay more than your program had itemized.

MsKK
Level 1

state efile charges

I think this is such a rip off to have to pay $45 for state download (after you pay for software) and then be charged and additional $25 just to efile!  It seems federal would step in because this is not encouraging people to efile.  It is encouraging them to pay for a stamp (less than $1) and mail in the paper form, which in the long run cost more money to process!  Also it encourages the use of paper (opposing any paper reduction efforts).  I have used turbo tax for many years, but now I will have to rethink how I do this for next tax year.  Shame on turbo tax for nickel and diming its "former" loyal customers!!

state efile charges

@MsKK   Did you have to buy a second different state?  You do get 1 free state program download to prepare unlimited state returns in that state.  Then you need to buy each additional state Program.

MsKK
Level 1

state efile charges

I think this is such a rip off to have to pay $45 for state download (after you pay for software) and then be charged and additional $25 just to efile!  It seems federal would step in because this is not encouraging people to efile.  It is encouraging them to pay for a stamp (less than $1) and mail in the paper form, which in the long run cost more money to process!  Also it encourages the use of paper (opposing any paper reduction efforts).  I have used turbo tax for many years, but now I will have to rethink how I do this for next tax year.  Shame on turbo tax for nickel and diming its "former" loyal customers!!

state efile charges

I feel cheated somehow, being told that eFile for state is $20, and then charged $25.  I can't contact customer service, but I have to search and find out that they increased price on March 1st.  It just feel like Intuit is operating like a big bully... very disappointed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies