turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SSA-1099 SM - impossible to file electronically when no W-2 wages are reported

When I file my SSA-1099 SM disability alone with no other W-2 wages to be reported, the taxable and adjusted income (7a, 8a) are left blank, hence I can not file my tax return electronically. Is this behavior by design or is there a way around it. This would make Turbo Tax completely useless for electronic filing when only SSA-1099 is reported..

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Those whose income is solely on an SSA-1099 do not have to file a Federal tax return.

IF you wish to do so anyhow for some reason (or had Fed taxes withheld on that SSA-1099), then you need some type of other income entered.  Put in $1 of interest on a 1099-INT form, from your bank and that will allow you to e-file  (more $$ if you actually received more interest on your bank account ).

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Thanks for your response. The trick with $1interest may just work for me. Still I thought that SSA-1099 filers have to file if their taxable income is somehow above the limit (not my case)

PLO
Returning Member

Only have SSA (no fed tax withheld) and income from an IRA distribution. I have no W-2 wages. Marked button "No W2s" but it won't hold, keeps bouncing to W2 income.  Tried saving when No W2 button marked but still didn't hold.

@PLO 

hard to know.....You might have an empty transferred W-2 from last year that is not apparent but needs to be deleted.

Talk to Customer Support, and let them work thru it with you.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies