beolein

Solution here for program asking for farm income when you don't own a farm doesn't work

The solution everywhere in previous years about it asking for farm income when you don’t have a farm doesn’t work.  That solution says delete Form F and its worksheet.  I do that, even though Form F is not in "My Forms" and nothing has been entered there.  But I am still asked about my 1099-NEC for my independent contractor business, for which I’ve already entered the code completely unrelated to farming.  The question asked is “Did you receive income for this farm reported to you  on Form 1099-NEC?”

ErnieS0

“Did you receive income for this farm reported to you on Form 1099-NEC?” is a standard question in the Form 1099-NEC section even if you entered an activity totally unrelated to farming.

Select “None of these apply to me” on the screen Does one of these uncommon situations apply? Then Continue.

You do not have to delete Schedule F. If you previously went to Delete a Form and did not see a Schedule F it means TurboTax never set up a farm for you.

ErnieS0

beolein

Solved.  Thank you.  I simply continued, entered my info, and it didn’t again ask me about farming.  Your instructions to “Select ‘None of these apply to me’ on the screen Does one of these uncommon situations apply? Then Continue” doesn’t apply because no boxes or questions related to that were presented to me.  Suggestion:  Change the phrasing of the question from “Did you receive income for this farm reported to you on Form 1099-NEC?” to “Did you receive income for a farm or business reported to you on Form 1099-NEC?”.

Compuski1

This is so frustrating!  This is about the third year I have run into this.  I don't have farm income but Turbotax keeps asking me to add it.  There is no schedule F shown, so I can't delete it.  I have unchecked the box that says "Do you have farm income" but it doesn't "stick" - it keeps asking me.  Aarrrgh!

TeresaM

Something may be carrying over from a prior year that is triggering this question. It may be best to delete this 1099-NEC and also any ghost of a Schedule F and rebuild the 1099-NEC.

Here are the directions to delete the form from your return.  This will delete both the form and all the entries.  If it rebuilds, sometimes there is another form recreating it and both have to be deleted to clear that information.

• To Delete a Form go black menu bar on the left
  • Click on Tax Tools
  • Click on Tools
  • Under Other helpful links, click on Delete a Form
  • Scroll down and check for Schedule F and if there is one, click on Delete
  • Click on the blue Delete Selected Form
  • Next, scroll down and delete the 1099-NEC form
  • At the bottom Continue
  • At the bottom Continue with my Return

After that is clear, please return to Income and in Other Common Income select Form 1099-NEC and the interview should take you back to the screen where you can select None of These Apply to Me, as below.

No Farm

Compuski1

My question may have had erroneous information.  Turbotax is asking for my farm income.  No 1099 involved.  It is looking for a schedule F, but there is none for me to delete.

I am using Turbotax business, preparing a return for our partnership.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Since you have the BUSINESS downloaded version switch to the FORMS mode and look for the Sch F to delete it and any of it's worksheets that way.   Something you entered must be triggering this form. 

TeresaM

Yes, TurboTax Business is different. You may have a carryover or an option that was selected on a form from a previous year that is triggering this question. 

• Please go to the upper right-hand corner and click on Forms; it will show you a list of all the forms in the return along the left column.
  • If you see a Schedule F, click there and it will open in the pane on the right. You can see what information is in the form and if it is erroneous, you can click Delete Form, at the bottom.
  • If you do not see a Schedule F, please check for any exclamation points on forms along the left, and when you click on the form, what fields in the form are highlighted red. These are flags for missing or inconsistent entries. You may see the one which relates to the farm question.
  • If this does not help, please let us know where in the return the question happens, as this will be helpful in determining the source.

@Compuski1
Compuski1

There is no schedule F listed and no incomplete form refers to farming,  If I go to “income” or ”deductions” the program says ‘you indicated earlier that you have income from farming activity" – although I don’t!  If I go to the topic list – farming – I say I have no farming activity – but if I ever go back to that it still shows that checked.

Ok ... switch to the FORMS mode and look down the list of forms on the left ... do any of them have a red ! mark next to them ?    If so this is where there is an error that needs to be attended to so click on that form to view it in the window.  Then look for any boxes colored in reddish pink ... that is what needs to be corrected.  Also when in the FORMS mode, above the list, should be the option to do an error check ... once you make the correction click on it to see if it goes away.

If you still cannot make the correction then contact TT support so they can walk you thru it ...  

See this TurboTax support FAQ on how to contact Support - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-contact-turbotax/00/26991