So I was unemployed in 2022 and didn’t think I needed to file a return but the IRS website looks like it is still waiting for me to file. What should I do? Ty

I don’t want to get in trouble for not filing but I didn’t work and only made a few thousand dollars selling personal items. Lived off my savings mostly.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

What makes you think the IRS shows you need to file?  Did you get any 1099 forms?

Do you need to file a return?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/filing-and-paying-taxes/help/do-i-need-to-file-a-federal-return-th...

IRS Do I need to file?

Do I Need to File a Tax Return? | Internal Revenue Service

Hi. Thnx 4 the fast reply. When I log onto my ITS website account, it says “⚠️ Your 2022 tax return is not processed.” I don’t think I got a 1099. I’m still dealing with a mistake I made filing w/ Turbo Tax last October. 
I will try those links. Ty

It says not processed because you didn't file one.  Not that you need to file a return.  Did you get unemployment or have health insurance from the Marketplace?  You might need to file for those.

According to the IRS “Do I need to File” questionnaire, I don’t need to file. But I’m still curious why the IRS website is even mentioning me not filing. For employment status in the quiz, there was only employed, self-employed, neither. I picked neither in holes thats unemployed. Ty

@kinetickutz Where on the IRS site did you see that something saying you did not file?   If you did not file a tax return, there will certainly be no information whatsoever on the "Where's my refund" site.  Did you look at your online IRS account?   Or did you try looking for a transcript?   Are you seeing a "verifcation of non-filing?"   

If you received unemployment compensation, you might need to file a tax return since unemployment is taxable on a federal return.   If, as you say, you mostly lived on savings, then you are unlikely to need to file a return at all.   

If you had marketplace insurance and received a 1095A for that, you need to file.   

No unemployment in 2022. No Marketplace insurance I dont think? I am on medical. Is that Marketplace insurance?

@kinetickutz wrote:

Did you mean Medicare or Medicaid?  If so, that is NOT Marketplace insurance.

Or Medi-Cal for California?

rjs

You are also required to file a tax return if you took money out of a Health Savings Account (HSA) or Medical Savings Account (MSA).

You mentioned you made a few thousand dollars selling stuff. There’s a filing requirement for self employment when you reach $400. What were you selling? 

Medical is Californias public assistance health care. Its the same as medicaid or medicare, whichever is for people under 65. 

Yeah, Medi-Cal for CA

Mostly clothes. If I made over $400, do I have to file as self employed? If so, don’t they charge a minimum of like $1,200 to file self employed? I didn’t even make $1,200… but I did make a bit over $600-$700

I don’t have a medi-cal savings or health care savings account. I just had Medi-Cal & Denti-Cal and saw a dr once or twice for my Epilepsy to get prescription refilled and a bunch of dental work done. But I also had to pay like $600 out of pocket for stuff Denti-Cal didn’t cover.