Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

So I was unemployed in 2022 and didn’t think I needed to file a return but the IRS website looks like it is still waiting for me to file. What should I do? Ty

I don’t want to get in trouble for not filing but I didn’t work and only made a few thousand dollars selling personal items. Lived off my savings mostly.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies

So I was unemployed in 2022 and didn’t think I needed to file a return but the IRS website looks like it is still waiting for me to file. What should I do? Ty

What makes you think the IRS shows you need to file?  Did you get any 1099 forms?

Do you need to file a return?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/filing-and-paying-taxes/help/do-i-need-to-file-a-federal-return-th...

IRS Do I need to file?

Do I Need to File a Tax Return? | Internal Revenue Service

Hi. Thnx 4 the fast reply. When I log onto my ITS website account, it says “⚠️ Your 2022 tax return is not processed.” I don’t think I got a 1099. I’m still dealing with a mistake I made filing w/ Turbo Tax last October. 
I will try those links. Ty

It says not processed because you didn't file one.  Not that you need to file a return.  Did you get unemployment or have health insurance from the Marketplace?  You might need to file for those.

According to the IRS “Do I need to File” questionnaire, I don’t need to file. But I’m still curious why the IRS website is even mentioning me not filing. For employment status in the quiz, there was only employed, self-employed, neither. I picked neither in holes thats unemployed. Ty

@kinetickutz Where on the IRS site did you see that something saying you did not file?   If you did not file a tax return, there will certainly be no information whatsoever on the "Where's my refund" site.  Did you look at your online IRS account?   Or did you try looking for a transcript?   Are you seeing a "verifcation of non-filing?"   

If you received unemployment compensation, you might need to file a tax return since unemployment is taxable on a federal return.   If, as you say, you mostly lived on savings, then you are unlikely to need to file a return at all.   

If you had marketplace insurance and received a 1095A for that, you need to file.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

No unemployment in 2022. No Marketplace insurance I dont think? I am on medical. Is that Marketplace insurance?

@kinetickutz wrote:

No unemployment in 2022. No Marketplace insurance I dont think? I am on medical. Is that Marketplace insurance?

Did you mean Medicare or Medicaid?  If so, that is NOT Marketplace insurance.

Or Medi-Cal for California?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You are also required to file a tax return if you took money out of a Health Savings Account (HSA) or Medical Savings Account (MSA).

You mentioned you made a few thousand dollars selling stuff. There’s a filing requirement for self employment when you reach $400. What were you selling? 

Medical is Californias public assistance health care. Its the same as medicaid or medicare, whichever is for people under 65. 

Yeah, Medi-Cal for CA

Mostly clothes. If I made over $400, do I have to file as self employed? If so, don’t they charge a minimum of like $1,200 to file self employed? I didn’t even make $1,200… but I did make a bit over $600-$700

I don’t have a medi-cal savings or health care savings account. I just had Medi-Cal & Denti-Cal and saw a dr once or twice for my Epilepsy to get prescription refilled and a bunch of dental work done. But I also had to pay like $600 out of pocket for stuff Denti-Cal didn’t cover. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies