turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

robr1
Returning Member

Share my tax file with my CPA

I'm trying to share my 2020 File with my CPA.  She was able to open 2018 and 2019, so she knows what she is doing, and knows she has the 2020 desktop app (as do I).  So why can't she open it?  I sent her to .tax file via email and uploaded into her file service just like I did with the 2018 and 2019 files.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Are  you sure you sent the .tax2020 file  and not the PDF ?  

robr1
Returning Member

She gave up and asked me for the PDF which I just sent.  So yes, I'm sure I didn't send the PDF.  

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

"Can't open" is not nearly enough detail to be able to diagnose a problem.

Is she using TurboTax or professional software that can open TurboTax files? If TurboTax, what edition (Deluxe, Premier, etc.)? On a PC or a Mac? If she's using professional software, she should contact support for her software.

What happens when she tries to open the file? If there's an error message, what is the complete message?

You said you have the "desktop app." Do you mean the CD/Download TurboTax software? If so, what edition? Are you using it on a PC or a Mac?

Did you put a password on your tax return?

Does your .tax2020 file include a state tax return? Does the CPA have the software installed for the same state?

You said you sent the file "via email and uploaded into her file service." That's two different ways of sending it. Did you send an email directly to the CPA with the file as an attachment, or did you upload the file somewhere? What is her "file service"? If you uploaded it somewhere and she is retrieving it, the file service might have done something to the file (even if it didn't do it in past years).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies