david-lukens77

Schedule b box 10 - exempt-interest dividends

I should not have anything in box 10, all fields are empty except for the state which is marked CT. I have deleted and re-filled out the section twice, but cannot get the CT to go away under state, resulting in the program telling me to fill in the amount before moving on.
Hal_Al

You need to clarify your question.
Schedule B and box 10 of a 1099-Div do not go together. And I'm assuming you got a 1099-Div; you haven't really said.
if it is a 1099-Div and "all fields are empty except for the state''; don't enter it in turbo tax at all. On the other hand; brokers don't send out empty 1099-Div except box 12
david-lukens77

Apologies for the lack of clarification. I did not receive a 1099-DIV this year and that is the problem. The form still shows CT under state and that is making TurboTax tell me I have to fill in the amount when there is no amount, but I can't get rid of the CT even if I go back into the interest and dividend income section and answer "no" to dividend income, etc.
Hal_Al

I still still don't know what "the form" is and what other information is on "the form", or what entry screen (in TT )  you used if it wasn't the 1099-Div screen? tax exempt interest in entered in box 8 of a 1099-Int, instead of the box 10 used on a 1099-div
kevin-bersell

I've got the same problem. I'm being told to enter "Exempt Interest Dividends-1 from XX (that's what it actually says: "XX"), received from payer #1...".  There is no other information in this line of Schedule B, so I have no idea where its coming from. This is on Schedule B Interest and Dividend Income in the Dividend Income Smart Worksheet.
Hal_Al

XX is the state abbreviation
Hal_Al

Enter 0 for CT and the the total amount in box 10 (or box 8 if you have a 1099-INT instead of a 1099-DIV) under  "More than one state"

You get the break down , by state,  from your mutual fund company. If they did not provide a breakdown, you check the box “I earned tax exempt dividends in more than one state” on the first screen after entering the 1099-INT or 1099-DIV. Then select  "More than one state" at the bottom of the state  scroll down list.

If your mutual fund company provided you a breakdown, you are only interested in your home state*. Multiply the % for your state by your total tax exempt dividends to get a $ amount (you can't enter the % in TurboTax [TT]). When asked which state, check the box "I earned tax exempt dividends in more than one state". In the drop down menu, select your state and enter the $ amount you calculated. In the 2nd box, select "More than one state" (at the bottom of the scroll down list) and enter the remaining dollar amount.

*Your state will tax all the dividends except the dividends from municipal bonds  from your state.