Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Schedule b box 10 - exempt-interest dividends

I should not have anything in box 10, all fields are empty except for the state which is marked CT. I have deleted and re-filled out the section twice, but cannot get the CT to go away under state, resulting in the program telling me to fill in the amount before moving on.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

You need to clarify your question.
Schedule B and box 10 of a 1099-Div do not go together. And I'm assuming you got a 1099-Div; you haven't really said.
if it is a 1099-Div and "all fields are empty except for the state''; don't enter it in turbo tax at all. On the other hand; brokers don't send out empty 1099-Div except box 12

Apologies for the lack of clarification. I did not receive a 1099-DIV this year and that is the problem. The form still shows CT under state and that is making TurboTax tell me I have to fill in the amount when there is no amount, but I can't get rid of the CT even if I go back into the interest and dividend income section and answer "no" to dividend income, etc.
Hal_Al
Level 15

I still still don't know what "the form" is and what other information is on "the form", or what entry screen (in TT )  you used if it wasn't the 1099-Div screen? tax exempt interest in entered in box 8 of a 1099-Int, instead of the box 10 used on a 1099-div

I've got the same problem. I'm being told to enter "Exempt Interest Dividends-1 from XX (that's what it actually says: "XX"), received from payer #1...".  There is no other information in this line of Schedule B, so I have no idea where its coming from. This is on Schedule B Interest and Dividend Income in the Dividend Income Smart Worksheet.
Hal_Al
Level 15

XX is the state abbreviation
Hal_Al
Level 15

Enter 0 for CT and the the total amount in box 10 (or box 8 if you have a 1099-INT instead of a 1099-DIV) under  "More than one state"

You get the break down , by state,  from your mutual fund company. If they did not provide a breakdown, you check the box “I earned tax exempt dividends in more than one state” on the first screen after entering the 1099-INT or 1099-DIV. Then select  "More than one state" at the bottom of the state  scroll down list.

If your mutual fund company provided you a breakdown, you are only interested in your home state*. Multiply the % for your state by your total tax exempt dividends to get a $ amount (you can't enter the % in TurboTax [TT]). When asked which state, check the box "I earned tax exempt dividends in more than one state". In the drop down menu, select your state and enter the $ amount you calculated. In the 2nd box, select "More than one state" (at the bottom of the scroll down list) and enter the remaining dollar amount.

*Your state will tax all the dividends except the dividends from municipal bonds  from your state.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies