turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: W2 single but I'm married

The W2 shows that I was Single but at the end of the year I got married. What should I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

You file your tax return with whatever status you actually are...are you married?  You file a return as Married.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

You mean your W-4 which you give to your employer listing the number of allowances you are claiming for tax withholding from your wages.  The W-4 status and the filing status on your tax return are not related.  On your tax return just file with the proper status, Married Filing Jointly, since you are legally married.

The Single status on a W-4 would mean your taxes are withheld at the higher single rate versus the Married rate.

I put married in my W4, but just received my W2 and my taxable marital status is listed as SINGLE.  Looking at my pay stubs now, I just realized my federal was being tax status as SINGLE while state was status MARRIED.  Should I contact my employer about this or will it be adjusted when I file my taxes

WKins2
Expert Alumni

It will be adjusted when you filed your returns for 2019. When you enter you and your spouses tax data into the program TurboTax will determine the amount of federal and state taxes you should paid in and what you have already paid in (W-2 taxes) and calculate if you paid in too much, just enough, or not enough. 

If you paid in too much you will get a refund, if you paid just enough you will not owe, nor get a refund, and if you didn't pay enough you will have a balance due. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
NAYY

I have an exact similar situation but I was wondering if the immigration would say something about that. if so, should I ask my employer to write me a latter of what happen or it's totally legal and everything. In my case the company website didn't update my status so my W-4 defaulted to single with 0 dependent. and you are right when I applied on 2019 tax return they gave me more money back than what they usually do because my W-4 was single which it was deducting more than the married status.

Don't worry about it file your return.  I assume you had an address change so I would file an IRS Form 8822 as a safeguard to be sure any correspondence comes to your new address.  Might help due to the Corona payments.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Form 8822 is not required to be filed with your tax return if you had a change of address from the last time you filed.  " if you usually file tax returns and you're planning to file your next one soon, you can simply enter your new mailing address directly on the tax return form instead of using Form 8822." Ref:  What Is Form 8822: Change of Address

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Forget about a letter from your employer, etc.  There could be a lot of reasons why your refund was higher than usual.  Quite often a joint return can result in more tax than 2 single returns.  (The so called marriage penalty.)  Given the current uncertainties and the fact that you might fall on hard economic times I would suggest you use Married 1 and your spouse do the same.  Any over withholding is not available until you file your return next year and you might be better off with the money in your pocket.  No need to contact your employer other than to request to change your withholding.  They should send you a new From W-4 to fill out.  Remember if you lower your withholding you might get a smaller or no refund next year - might even owe - so if your take home pay is increased stash the difference if things are OK with you  or spend it if you need it.

I think that updating ones address on a 8822 can't hurt but might help if her are any government payments or anything where you might need to be contacted.  In normal circumstances just filing with a new address is sufficient but who knows?

Manage cookies