Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I download Turbotax software for previous years if I did taxes online with TurboTax?

I did my 2015 & 2016 taxes through the online TT program, instead of downloading the software to my PC.  I now want to go back & download the software from previous years but don't want to have to pay for it, since I already paid a lot to them to file taxes in those years.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies

How can I download Turbotax software for previous years if I did taxes online with TurboTax?

You can purchase prior year versions using the link below:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

But that's what I'm saying...I already PAID over $100 for last year, for example, to have my taxes figured up & filed by TurboTax. I have the .tax2016 files. I have the PDF's. All I want is the software to plug it all into. I do NOT want to have to pay another $100 for *old* software.  If this is how it is going to be, maybe it's time to switch to H&R Block...

I have the same need and question:

I have been purchasing TurboTx from Costco for the last almost 10+ years. For majority I have the CD but my new computer doesn't have CD ROM drive. Also I lost one of the CD for 2018. Where can I get the previous years version so that I can open my existing files in the respective versions.

That is a request you need to make with customer support to see if they will give you the downloads for the CD's you lost.  Software is only available for 2016 to 2019, though.  They no longer support or update earlier years.

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

They are available from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Pacific time 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Did you buy the 2019 CD or need to buy 2019?  You can buy the download here, https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/ 

or if you have the CD you can download it instead.  

How to download Turbo Tax instead of using the CD

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/i-bought-the-cd-but-my-computer-doesn-t-have-a-cd-...

Why do you need to install the prior years?  Didn't you save the pdf files?  Your tax files end in .tax or .tax2015, .tax2016, .tax2017 or .tax2018 etc.  They should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder.  You should also have the pdf files of each year.  Or search your computer for all files ending in .tax.  Also if you haven't done it,  I would open each year in the program and save it as a PDF file, go to File-Save to PDF so you don't need the program installed to view or print your return in the future like to get a mortgage or loan, etc.

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents.  That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored.  Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them.   Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.

My state is asking me to file a missing 2018 filing (its beyond 3 years due to special circumstances -- I'm a veteran).  So I re-installed my copies of 2017 and 2018 Turbotax Premier.  2017 let me download the state forms yesterday (Feb 23, 2023), but the 2018 TurboTax would not download and did not even allow me to open the .tax2018 file I previously made that included the MA tax return info I entered. Why did I reinstall? Well, my previous computer died.  So now I cannot complete the .tax2018 state return nor carry over that data to the .tax2019 and subsequent returns.  Is there anyway to get my 2018 TurboTax state files downloaded and working?  Again, 2017 downloaded fine, as did 2019 yesterday.  I share the view of the prior commenter, that the hours and hours of trying to get my old return to work in the app I purchased should be simple and not a reason to go to a different tax software vendor. Thank you.

You have added on to a 3 year old thread which doesn't apply now.  Turbo Tax only supports and updates the last 3 years.  So if you got 2017 updated and downloaded the state program that was a fluke.  

Didn't you save a pdf file when you filed?  If you have old .tax files you can try converting them to pdf files at  Www.Taxprinter.Com 

It might be expensive.  They are not connected with Turbo Tax.  Use it at your own risk.

No, there is no pdf to save.  What makes you think there was a pdf to save?  You would be better off asking was there a pdf that you saved? Then the answer would be no.  Basically, I wasted my money buying TurboTax 2019-2022 recently, thinking I could simply import the .tax files from 2018.  If you get deployed, if you are in the hospital, if life is a struggle, well then you are S.O.L.?  Not asking for support or any new updates... asking for the state tax forms that were supplied when I purchased and downloaded the state forms in 2019 before COVID global pandemic and war in Ukraine.  That's all that I'm asking for.  Doesn't TurboTax still have those?  Do they magically expire? Feel like I'm talking to a wall.

That I got the 2017 state tax forms downloaded to my purchased TurboTax software was a fluke? Well, it shows that it works and is technologically possible.  Same as years prior when I got deployed and simply needed to catch up on greater than 3 years back.  There is not a technical reason why downloads could be available -- its clearly a policy decision.  Not here to debate policy decisions with you ... that you chose to point out arbitrary policy and ask questions like "why didn't you..." is whataboutism like logic and avoids the actual question for help in any workaounds that could be used to get the forms.  Does anyone have installed 2018 with state form for Massachusetts on their computer for example?  Anyone know if there are particular data files from that install that correspond to the state forms and could be copied and transferred?  Is that a possibility?  I paid for them, but Intuit won't share them... thanks!

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

This would be best if you give us a call by clicking here. So we can take a look and better assist you. @mikameeko2023 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I called yesterday. Allison in Texas was super nice, but ultimately not able to help.  We spent almost 90 minutes on the phone and in a Glance session trying to figure out workarounds.  It really is the simple matter of TurboTax 2018 (tried both Premier & Home and Business) installing as it should, then downloading its updates, restarting, and then always getting hung up when trying to download MA and/or VA state forms either from a clean start or using the .tax2017 file import at which point TurboTax always runs into the error: 

Hmmm... it looks like we've hit a slight snag.
Please try again or check back in a bit.

Same error if I import the .tax2018 return that was started in 2019 after downloading both MA and VA state forms at that time.

Basically, I'm being asked by the IRS and MA Dept of revenue to re-file my 2018 (yes, I know its longer than 3 years, but they are asking and it will be beneficial for me as well as provide a better basis for my subsequent returns), but TurboTax is dead in the water simply because I cannot download the state forms that I previously was able to download on my old computer that doesn't work.  That's all I am asking for to make my life easier and not lose another 24 hours effort of trying workarounds and losing out on time I could be spending getting other things done (I'm a disabled veteran... can someone at Intuit help?!?!) Thanks!

Sign into your online account.  Your previous years' downloads should be listed in your account.

Download your files from your old computer to a USB flash drive and transfer to your new computer.

Also, for anyone who makes the claim "well, TurboTax chooses not to support software that is older than 3 years because 99.5% or more of all customers are satisfied...", I submit that I have purchased the full CD versions of Deluxe, Premier, and Home & Business for more than 25 years and that this unwillingness to help (it is unwillingness, as it is clearly technologically possible and is a choice by Intuit) means that my recent purchase of TurboTax 2022 at Amazon.com will be my last ever Intuit purchase as my trust is shaken and it has been unnecessarily aggravating.  I sincerely do hope someone at Intuit will reach out to my little minority and help me out, just a human who purchased the software and needs help with it right now on a fairly easy matter. Thank you for the prior decades of help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies