Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

nettech

Will 2020 Turbo Tax run in Windows 7

It absolutely stinks that you deliberately went to all the trouble to place a block on installing TurboTax on Windows 7 computers.  There is no reason why you should care WHAT Microsoft does concerning providing support for their products.  IT IS NONE OF YOUR CONCERN!  If your customers want to run software they purchased on an unsupported OS it is their business and they take the responsibility for their actions.  This action that you decided to take for whatever reason, has caused a tremendous loss of affection for your company and its products for absolutely no reason.  Whoever made the decision to do this needs to be fired and you need to develop a patch to correct your stupidity.   Microsoft makes stupid choices regularly but you do not have to emulate them!   Pay attention to your own business and let Bill Gates make his own mistakes!

@nettech wrote:

It absolutely stinks that you deliberately went to all the trouble to place a block on installing TurboTax on Windows 7 computers.  There is no reason why you should care WHAT Microsoft does concerning providing support for their products.  IT IS NONE OF YOUR CONCERN!  If your customers want to run software they purchased on an unsupported OS it is their business and they take the responsibility for their actions.  This action that you decided to take for whatever reason, has caused a tremendous loss of affection for your company and its products for absolutely no reason.  Whoever made the decision to do this needs to be fired and you need to develop a patch to correct your stupidity.   Microsoft makes stupid choices regularly but you do not have to emulate them!   Pay attention to your own business and let Bill Gates make his own mistakes!

The software has to be written for an unsupported OS?  Then why does no one else write software for MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98 or Vista.  Let alone all the multitude of Apple OS releases over the last 20 years?

H&R Block Tax Software Windows 8.1 or higher - https://www.hrblock.com/tax-center/support/software/technical-issues-software/software-system-requir...

TaxAct Windows 8.1 or higher - https://www.taxact.com/system-requirements/

TaxSlayer - Windows 8.1 or higher - https://support.taxslayerpro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009171674-Supported-Operating-Systems

You're right Don, that these companies can do whatever they way with their software and they can be stupid and put this restriction on it if they want.  However, they do have to deal with the fall-out that people are going to go to other software that does the same thing without this restriction.  

Your pointing to other specific software to try to justify the point of upgrading to Win 10 is a moot point.  There are other software out there can do the same thing and you know it. 

The point here is that without a good reason, Intuit added this restriction and the usual customers don't appreciate this inconvenience of upgrading their OS especially if they don't appreciate the inner workings of Win 10.  So in short, yes Intuit can add this, and those of us who were customers can and will walk away from their products for good.  The truth is, they need us to use their products more than we need to rely on their products as there are alternatives out there.  It's shooting themselves in the foot and I'm happy to walk away and flip them the bird.

I'm not completely sure but you may have missed the point.  Intuit purposely chose to put a check in their software this year so it would not run on Win 7 and force us to upgrade to Win 8 or 10 just to use Turbo Tax 2020.  Last year they chose to warn us about Win 7 and encourage us to upgrade.   They could have done the same thing as last year.  As far as I know, aside from their purposefully blocking use on Win 7, their code will work fine.  I'd be happy to test it for them if they would send me an updated version.

John

@Handyman, I have to disagree with you .  I don't know for sure but unless Intuit is a Microsoft company, then I don't think you should blame your actions and choices on Microsoft.  I'm guessing that as you looked at changes for TT2020, Intuit made the decision to change the coding from warning us about Win 7 to not even letting us install and try it.  Is that true or did Microsoft come to Intuit and say that they would be rolling out an update to all MS OSs that would have a kill switch for all Intuit products if they allowed their customers to run TT2020 on Win 7?

Now, I've been in IT for years and I understand that at some point it COULD happen that you want to do something function wise in TT that can't be done on an older OS.  I don't think that's the case here.  TT2020 won't install because of code you purposely added.  I'd be happy to test it for you if you would remove the logic in the install.

John

Can I still use tirbotax deluxe  download for windows 7

No.  Not for 2020 Deluxe.  If you can't use the Desktop program you can use the online web version.

Window System Requirements

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

It's a false analogy to compare win 7 to msdos. Straw man. Win 7 and 8.1/10 are identical API (underlying application programming interfaces) in many or most respects. The OS lineage took a major revamp at win7. 10 is bell's and whistles (and telemetry, etc).  Intuit could easily say "win7 not supported" and let people figure that out. Instead they actually added a check in the installer to refuse to install if os is win7. From a programming perspective the tricky bits with ms api's have always been around internet explorer. That  dll has always been a mess and non compliant with the web standards. The main (only?) place TurboTax has hooked it in the past was credit card payment. In honesty they should NOT hook IE, as it has always been and continues to be a huge security hole. For such a small part of the programming job intuit has decidednne, and such a hugely important PII issue, intuit should write a module to do that... Not use IE. REGARDLESS if it's win10. In previous versions of TT, the issue went something like this: host machine had IE security zones hardened and locked down. TT could not process credit card charge because it opened IE to do it (the only place TT ever tried to use IE). It needed an IE browser instance with all scripting on, plus other bad things enabled. Several servers not immedately trackable were being requested, generated by scripts from third party sites (as I was snooping and logging the app's calls last year). There were so many layers of this I gave up and changed all the ie security settings back to its default (HIGHLY INSECURE) security settings so this single app could get its credit card authorization. This topic goes into the poor security mindset MS has for "end users" (which is to globally allow every kind of remote controlled monkeybusiness, and try to then catch some body doing something in a block list miles long. The topic is too long to go into here. It is a fundamentally insecure model, with MS always trying to catch up with the latest nefarious tricksters' approaches. Because the basic plan is to allow any/all things you don't already know are evil. 

My, My, My - somebody who takes time to understand!  You're a rare bird Heretic!!  I'd like to meet you sometime.  In the meantime, sounds to me like the Intuit brass might want to take some time to hear what you have to say.  I could also throw in my 2 cents.  If it is the API and IE interfaces, couldn't they just Edge which even Microsoft is trusting enough that that insecure Win 7 to allow us to run it on Win 7!  Oh what tangled webs we weave 😉  Perhaps Intuit could hire you for a consultant and help themselves AND their customers!!

JA

I have Windows 7 Professional.  Will Turbo Tax work with this?

Not the Desktop program.  You can use the online version.

Window System Requirements

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

Good luck with that. I went around & around with Costco a few years ago about what was inside their MS Desktops (Dell, HP, etc.) The highest level person I reached at Costco would tell me they didn't know the technical details & refer me to the Mfr. who in turn said they were just following Costco's own specs so they didn't know what components were used. Round & round I went so finally built my own which is why I will not leave Win7pro. I totally agree of Intuits complete betrayal of its customers.

Yeah this is beyond belief to expect this and give no warning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cust support said it could be done as well and sent a link that was about getting 2019 data online. Totally wrong (I knew it!) that it would install on windows 7 with lame excuse it is insecure- That is my business. I knew she would be. She hung up on me as well when I was getting agitated in that what she said did not make complete sense. I am beyond pissed off. Same with profanities wanting to be used here. Just don't want my message deleted or I would.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not sure what kind of "warning" you expected.  Most new software is not built for an 11 year old operating system that is no longer supported by its own creator. 

I can only laugh at all of the people who are going to get refunds.  What software are you going to buy?  No tax software that I can find runs on Windows 7 and most discontinued support for it last year, when TurboTax gave it another year.  It will not work on TaxAct, Tax Slayer, or H&R Block. 

You need to update your system or use the online option which is the version the majority of folks use anyhow. There is another choice for you aside from upgrading your ridiculously outdated machines.

Yes turbo tax supported it last year - so why not let people know they were not going to in advance - they have sent me a million emails about discounts!!!! and to buy!!!!!! and they should train their customer support to not tell people the wrong info. Then when questioned as it made no sense what she was saying she hangs up on me. But she did say to buy and there was a workaround. Nope- total blocking as I expected so now I have to waste my time and get aggravated with stupid auto answer computer and then on hold for 30 minutes while I played with the online version to see if it was improved from before and whether it would upload my 2019 info (which it did) then I figure how to just request a refund at which time the next cust support of course answers immediately thereafter. Whatever. I purposely kept windows 7 for several reasons including a thesis I was finishing and did not want to mess with Windows 10 and mess up tools I had installed for windows 7 that I needed over the last 11 years.  Windows 8 sucked as you may recall. My excellent backup tool that came with my backup hard drive would not work on windows 10.  Your an ------- for making so many presumptions about people and why they have an old known to be very stable operating system.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies