Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why was state taken from my federal return, I chose to pay it online

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

The word "state" is not enough info.    That can be interpreted a couple of different ways.    Please explain more about what that means.   And what are you referring to when you said "chose to pay it online"--did you have some product fees, or did you have state taxes due?  

Did you use Free Edition?  That's what is indicated under your question.  Is that correct?    If so, there shouldn't be any product fees in Free Edition.   So are you asking about state taxes due?   It's not possible to pay any state taxes due out of a Federal refund. 

So until you explain more, we don't know for sure what you mean and are experiencing.

Or are you referring to a "net amount" displayed at the Tax Home--a figure that represents the total of the Federal refund minus the state taxes due?   If so, that's just provided for your information to show you the net amount you are left with when all is said and done, taking both the Federal and state situations into consideration.   That doesn't mean any state tax due is paid out of the Federal refund (which cannot be done.)    You have to pay any state taxes due by using whatever method your state allows (can vary from state to state).    TurboTax should have told you of the state tax payment options for your particular state.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies