turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is TurboTax charging me to file my state taxes electronically. I did not have to pay this when I used TaxAct. PLus I paid $110 for the software.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Why is TurboTax charging me to file my state taxes electronically. I did not have to pay this when I used TaxAct. PLus I paid $110 for the software.

E-filing fee in desktop software

Did you purchase desktop software with state software included?  They sell Deluxe both with and without state software--so you have to be careful which one you choose.  And even if it does have the state software download included, that is for preparing the state.  There is an extra fee to e-file the state.  You can avoid the  state e-file fee if you print and mail the state instead of e-filing it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I purchased the Home and Business desktop version that includes  5 returns plus one state.  I just find it odd that it charges $20 to electronically file the state returns.  This is the first time I have used TurboTax.  In the past, I have used TaxAct and I was never changed $20 to file an electronic state return.  If this is the way it is with TurboTax I will just have to accept it.

That has always been the "norm" for desktop TurboTax.   In March the state e-file fee will increase to $24.99.   I, too, prepare a number of returns for family members and use the free federal e-files but the state returns get printed, signed and mailed to avoid the e-filing fee.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

NY BY law requires you to file your taxes electronic. I'm tired getting nickeled and dime with Turbo tax. I'm not going to pay to file NY State taxes for 19 and 18 year old. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies