turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is the state asking for more money after I paid the amount they asked for? They say I didn't pay the full amount when I clearly did.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Why is the state asking for more money after I paid the amount they asked for? They say I didn't pay the full amount when I clearly did.

You should receive a letter explaining the adjustment to your return. We can’t see your return and TurboTax has no information or control over your refund. 

Did they get your payment or billing you for more?  

Send them a copy of your payment.  Your only proof of payment is your bank statement or credit card showing the payment coming out.  Turbo Tax only passes your bank account number to the state for the state to take it out of your account.  But most states do not let you pay by Direct Debit so you have to mail in a check or go directly to the state's website to pay.  And some banks use different routing numbers for deposits and payments.  Double check the number you entered with your bank.

The state reserves the right to access penalties and interest on the balance due even if you paid the amount in full .... so read the notice carefully ... are they asking for interest/penalties ? 

Manage cookies