Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is the box checked under standard ded that says someone can claim my spouse as a dependent- I filed Single. will this prevent my stim payment?

This looks like an error. Please help! If I'm single why is anything with a spouse selected???
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
RobertG
Expert Alumni

Why is the box checked under standard ded that says someone can claim my spouse as a dependent- I filed Single. will this prevent my stim payment?

It should not affect your stimulus payment.

If you are filing single, there would be no consideration of your spouse in calculating your payment.

You can check your payment status at the IRS website Get My Payment.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Rky
Returning Member

I called the IRS. This is why they say I can not receive a stimulus payment. They told me turbo tax would need to check the appropriate box and resubmit to them. 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

TurboTax is a do-it-yourself tax preparation software.  If you made a mistake, you will need to correct and resubmit.

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

There is no place that I can find when amending the return that you can uncheck this box. This has to be auto generated by Turbo tax software because I filed single also and this box was checked. I would never check this box on my own. Why would this even be an option when filing single? The IRS also told me I would not receive a stimulus payment because of this. Intuit needs to fix this problem so people can get their money!

Yes it does affect your stimulus payment and you will not receive one if this box is checked. Just got off the phone with the IRS. This is a TurboTax software issue and they need to fix it so people can get their payment!!

@markscott33 "There is no place that I can find when amending the return that you can uncheck this box. "

When you go to My Info, click on your name, and go through the screens, do you not come to the screen that asked if you are someone else's dependent?  Or do you come to the question that asks if you were married?  How did you answer those questions?

I am not aware of any other reports from other users that a software issue is causing a problem such as you describe.  But I will post a question to the moderators.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

This is actually an issue identified to be a turbo tax system problem.  Your answer is dismissive and useless. Maybe you should just keep you mouth shut if you don't have anything valuable to say.

Hey Mark!  I worked with a turbo tax rep and it took a while for them to stop assuming they knew what was going on and actually log in and troubleshoot the issue.  Quality help is hard to find! It is a system issue.  For me it was connected to my status being listed as divorced (single).  Indeed there is no way to uncheck that box.  I had to go back into it and list my status as single.  Then I sent an amended return snail mail.  It says it takes up 16 weeks to process!  Turbo Tax could be looking at a class-action lawsuit if we don't get paid. Good luck man!! 

Thank you very much! I was wondering if the issue was because I checked the divorced box.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies