Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sbkb12613

Why is my agi being rejected when it is correct according to 2018 tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Did you possibly amend your 2018 return after you originally filed it? This would account for the difference in AGI.

Otherwise, please be sure you are following the below guidance to find your AGI:

The IRS requires your 2018 AGI to verify your identity for e-filing. If you're paper-filing your return, you won't need your AGI because those are manually processed.

There are a few places you can get your 2018 AGI:

• If you filed your 2018 taxes with TurboTax, sign in and go down to Your tax returns & documents. Select View adjusted gross income (AGI).
  • If you didn’t file your taxes with TurboTax in 2018, the best place to get last year's AGI is from the 1040 form you filed with the IRS. Look on page 2, line 7. If you filed a 1040NR, it'll be on line 35.
  • If you're having trouble locating your 2018 return, the second-best place to get your AGI is from the IRS. You can order a free transcript of your return at the IRS Get Transcript site or you can purchase a full copy of your 2018 return. Both versions will include your AGI.

You won't find your AGI on your W-2 or 1099 form because those forms don't take into account over a dozen above-the-line deductions that go into calculating your AGI.

If you didn't file a 2018 federal tax return (or you haven't filed one yet), enter 0 as your AGI.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
marlenehaworth
Returning Member

Turbotax filed the return and entered the 2018 AGI on current T/R but IRS denied it saying wrong AGI.  I Confirmed with 2018 copy of Turbotax and it is correct.  What now?   Being both years done by Turbotax is there a speedy way way to push thru as it is my grandson's return and he is out of work due to COVID-19 and desperately needs his refund.  Any help will b appreciated.

MayaD
Expert Alumni

If your grandson filed late last year after mid-November or his return was processed after that time—try entering 0.

If the IRS keeps rejecting the return, you can print it and mail it in.

What if I entered the correct AGI and I’m still getting an ...

marlenehaworth
Returning Member

Thanks but didn't file late or Amend.  We have just spend time trying to get a transcript on line and it kicked the verification by SMS saying couldn't verify but it was the correct code that IRS sent.  Then tried using his info and every time we put in his SS# it would come back with blank fields.  We know it is correct, we double confirm even with his 2018 tax return.  It is starting to concern me that there mite be stolen SS# ... Oh I pray not.  Do U have any thoughts.  I've had it for now  ...  I was going to try a different free site but the trouble is with IRS, not the transmittal so I fear a paper copy will get denied also.  Before I retired I had a client that had one of her childs SS# stolen and used b4 she filed her tax return.  Unfortunately she was the one who had the burden of proof and delay in getting her refund.  It was a mess and we spent a lot of time getting it straighten out.

And his 2018 return was filed?  Did he get his refund last year?  Have you tried using zero for the AGI?  If that doesn't work guess you have to print and mail it.

marlenehaworth
Returning Member

Yes to 2018.  No problem.  I have a feeling they R going to deny the paper copy as they would not accept his SS# when we tried to get a transcript of 2018 online.

I appreciate your feedback and pray that u n u'r family r safe n well.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Is it possible the wrong Social Security number was filled in 2018?  But then the zero AGI should have worked.

fsw
Level 2

I am sorry to hear of your issue and can empathize with you - I have a similar problem! The dreaded AGI. I was not able to solve my problem, so can't offer to solve yours, but I like to share my story.

My wife and I have used TT for many years filing as "married joint return". This (2019 tax year) is the first time that our e-file return is rejected, due to supposedly a non-matching AGI for **my wife**. Naturally, I went through all the hoops, double-checked everything, and even obtained a transcript of our 2018 return from IRS to make sure there was no mistaken AGI - I guess I did better than you in that sense. After all, how difficult it is to confirm a number! The bottom line is, the AGI is absolutely correct.  Hence, I am at a loss as well.

Having exhausted my energy I have resigned to paper-filing. And there is no need to be pessimistic in your situation either: If your son's (grandson's) SS# is correct, the paper return will be just as good I am sure. What did we do before e-filing, right?

Being a forensic person by training, I started to think if there is a bug or misstep somewhere in the chain - with IRS or TT if not me? The ONLY change for us from 2018 tax year to 2019 tax year is that my wife passed away in March of 2019. We are still eligible to file "married joint return" for 2019 of course (but not 2020) but I figure that may have something to do with my issue this year. In other words, I am inclined to think if my wife's death is not noted on the return, our e-file wouldn't be ejected based on "*my wife's name* AGI is incorrect", i.e., my wife was singled out as the person having an incorrect AGI whereas of course both she and I have the same AGI. 

PS: I often wonder why AGI is the only key used for identity purposes (e-signature), not the PIN we were given when e-filing, or SS#, etc.     

PPS: Learned a $25 lesson as well. Do not fork out the money for e-filing the state return until I have successfully e-file the federal return. Now that money is wasted.  

Yes sorry, There is a problem with Efiling when one spouse died during the year.  You have print and mail your return this year. 

fsw
Level 2

Thanks for your help and suggestion. 

My case, though not common, is surely not singular either. I hope TT will "program" it in based on our inputs so others will not waste their time.  

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

This is an issue with the IRS, not TurboTax. 

The IRS wants your prior year AGI. 

If you listed your spouse first last year, but switched the order of names/social security this year, the AGI will not match the IRS file. 

I checked my AGI with my 2018 tax return and it is correct.  Why has my tax return been rejected with the same reason three times now?

fsw
Level 2

I can only empathize with you; I have the same or similar issue (see previous post). I simply paper-filed, accepting defeat.

Has there been changes in your personal/ family situation/status from 2018? I would start from there.

For AGI Reject code 031
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/e-file-reject-ind-031-04-or-ind-032-04-the-agi-or-...

When did you file 2018? If it was late in the year try putting in zero for the AGI. And see, https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/what-if-i-entered-the-correct-agi-and-i-m-still-ge...

If your spouse died during 2019 there is a problem efiling and you will have to mail your return

How to correct the AGI
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/where-do-i-correct-my-agi-in-turbotax-online/00/26311

If you can’t get it to efile you will have to print and mail it.
How to mail a return from the Online version
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

Be sure to attach copies of your W2s and any 1099s that have withholding on them.  You have to mail federal and state in separate envelopes because they go to different places.  Get a tracking number from the post office when you mail them for proof of filing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies