turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is it telling me to fix my return it won't let me file

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

30 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Turbo Tax has two areas reviewing your return.There is the REVIEW section after federal and state. It should show you what the issues are and walk you through correcting them.

The second is an internal review before transmission to the IRS. Again, it should tell you what the issue is. Generally, you need to go back into the program to correct  an issue from this review.

The program should be telling you the problem. Your return can not be filed until the issue is resolved.

You can reply back with the exact message you are seeing to see if we can help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

mine is just saying that I have selected a  Nonresident reciprocal state tax return as your main form. You must complete the form 740NPR for either yourself or your spouse

This after I go through the wizard and answer all the questions , it keeps saying I need to complete the form even after I complete the form and send it to review

@AmyC 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Sounds like you lived in a reciprocal state and earned income in Kentucky. 

When the interview asks if you made money in another state, answer "No". 

Your return for your resident state will be complete. The Kentucky tax has no bearing on your resident state return. The income is reported as earned in the state in which you live. 

Next, you may want to get any tax you paid to Kentucky back. This is done with Form 740-NP-R. Any tax returned to you has no bearing to your resident state, it never should have been withheld and paid to Kentucky in the first place. 

You can print the 740-NP-R and mail it in yourself if you wish. 

You can also print form 42A809, fill it out and give it to your employer if you are earning in Kentucky, but live in a reciprocal state. This way your employer should not withhold Kentucky tax, but rather the tax for the state in which you live. 

PLEASE CLICK HERE to print 740-NP-R

PLEASE CLICK HERE for Form 42A809

@StevenS

my employer doesn't withhold from my check so I take it I don't need to fill out another form?

@StevenS   What is your question?  Did you get a W2 or a 1099Misc for your pay?  Did the employer take out any taxes like SS or Medicare?  If you got a 1099Misc or no form you file it as self employment on schedule C.  I can give you more info on that.  You have to report all your income.

I filed the federal and the Illinois return and both went on fine... however when I attempted to file a 740 NPR for Kentucky it just returns an error saying I need to fill one out.  I'm asking if I even need to fill out the Kentucky NPR because my employer doesn't take taxes out for Kentucky now

Cydnj

Turbo tax telling you fix my return but not showing where i can fix it at and when i do press the “fix my return” it take me “sign,refile submit 

Chupie58

I am having the same issue.  I fill out form 940npr and it tells me in the review I need to fill it out.  It does NOT ask if I made money in another state.  I can't seem to get past this.

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

@Cydnj Try clearing your cache and cookies and reattempt the fix my return process. If the issue still persists try using a different browser altogether. I am including the rejected return FAQ below for your reference.

Fixing a rejected return in Turbo Tax

sandyl
Returning Member

Mine keeps asking me to fix the same problem and then it doesn’t seem to save so it keeps sending back to fix it.  

Zacc

Mine is telling me my 1099-B cant have a 0 in the fields that are flagged. When I try to correct it, it just resets back to 0. If I leave it blank, it does the same thing. If I try to file by mail, it doesn't give me the option to do so nor does it allow me to print anything.

There appears to be a field in your 1099-B that is corrupted.  Here are some steps to correct this.

Use the Chrome browser

Click the three dots in the upper right corner
Select Settings

Privacy and Security

Clear browser data for all time

Insert clear browser pic

Then sign in to TurboTax on the Chrome browser
Go to Tax Tools,

Tools, Delete a Form and delete your 1099-B and any supporting worksheets
Go to the program and enter the 1099-B again

Go through the pages in the income section until it ends and then run Review again.

This will give you a clean 1099-B to work with and should resolve the error.

McGram4

Turbotax is telling me the following and I see no error. Please help.

Check this Entry

Other Income Statement: Other taxable income tor the taxpayer or other taxable income for the spouse should have a value.

Other Taxable Income-TP 

Thank you for any help with this. It doesn't make sense. It's a simple 1099R that I'm trying to enter.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The  1099-R is not "other income" so the message and the form do not go together. I believe you clicked into other income at some point just going through the program. See How to Delete and you can see what forms should not be there.

@McGram4

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies