turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is it saying invalid ssn when is a valid ssn

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
JohnW222
Expert Alumni

What happens is, a Social Security Number (SSN) has to match up against a person's name when it's compared with the government's database, so there could be a mismatch if names are not entered correctly, or if names don't match what the government has.

Double-check that not only is the Social Security Number listed on your return correct,  but that the name associated with the SSN is input correctly, and according to the correct format that TurboTax requires.

If you've verified that your SSN was correct as you entered it, and you e-file again, the IRS' eFile system will almost surely reject your return again. Your only option is to paper-file your return, sending it to the IRS.

Please see the TurboTax Help article "E-file rejections related to incorrect or duplicated names, birth dates, or Social Security numbers" for additional information on why your return might be rejecting.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

this is not true... it is a glitch in your system.. My federal was accepted but it is still saying for the Michigan home heating credit that my nephew that we have guardianship's ssn is invalid. Negate the fact that my federal was accepted, I went down to the local ss office and the ss is indeed correct. The answer above this says the issue was solved but it is absolutely not solved. 

All the data entered has been validated and is correct.  Turbo Tax has a glitch in their system.  NO EXECUSED please.  I was in the IT business for 49 years and know a glitch when I see one.   I talked with one of your representative and she was able to find my return and verify that it was accepted by the IRS.   

It's actually my son's ssn 

I have no idea. Hoping you would help me with this. 

Every time I try to open a bank account or do something when my social security number is telling me that it's no good or anything I want to know why what's going on with it can you please let me know

This is not a TT issue ... all of you need to talk to the SS administration to see what is up with that number.

For the person whose Federal was accepted but the state was not then you need to talk to the state to fix the error since the SS# was OK with the fed. 

@Kitcat6969  

Don't post it here..as this is a PUBLIC forum

BUT

.....if you SSN starts with a zero, it could be that some computer systems are having problems accepting that and may be auto-deleting any starting zero's  

TTX Had an apparent software bug earlier this year, where it wouldn't accept SSNs starting with a zero...probably fixed by now....but don't know.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies