turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Why does the premier 2020 edition crash on my Mac with Big Sur?

Help with contacting TurboTax customer support has been provided by clicking here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am having the same issue with my brand new MacBook Pro with BigSur.  Had filed all federal returns filed with no issue and just had 2 state to file.  Went on today and after a state e-file succeeded, couldn't reopen TT.  Tried to delete the file in Preferences and redo.  It seemed to work for a second..got the picture of TT people as box said it was checking for updates but then it disappeared.  Also tried to create new user with admin privileges and loaded TT and shared TT filed as some other reader suggested.  That didn't work either.   

Called support 2times.  First time person was reading directions to me about e-filing.  Second person offered refund..asked, but they would not transfer me to support, given I bought from Amazon.  ugh!

To update my post (had completed all tax prep, filed federal and then had TT crash after filing one state (with more needed to file):  What finally worked was 1) creating a new user with admin privileges (not sure where I read to do that) 2) putting my completed TT return files in a shared folder that I my "new user" could access 3) downloading TT to the "new user" .  Then because I had tried to run TT as the "new user" and it still wouldn't open, I followed the summary of Sbed650 (who credited jwhaskell1 and audge66)"  4) from Finder use GO tab at top then GO To Folder ~/library then PREFERENCES then delete the file named "com.intuit.turbotax.2020.plist" and 5) launch TT2020 but disregard Intuit's error message (i.e. close the box without sending Intuit a crash report!). 

It seems to work now so long as I log onto the new user (now named "Turbotaxworkaround").  This is the first time I have had any trouble with TT -- but the biggest irony of it all is that when I finally went back to the state returns that needed filing and started the process, I learned that because I didn't have a driver's license from that state nor filed returns there before, I had to mail the return in anyways!  

There was 5 hours of my life I'll never get back.  

Thank you so much! This totally worked for me. I was so frustrated😭

And I just used TT today to play around with some different scenarios.  Did not go to my alternate user that I had created for the workaround.  Instead did it as me - there were some software updates to download, which I did.  Then when I ran it, I did get the "we hit a snag, let's report it" notice but ignored/closed without sending it, and it all is working fine!  

Just wanted to add another name to this complaint; I have literally never had this kind of issue with TurboTax and have used it successfully for over 20 years. I'm amazed that the program would suddenly run into a fatal crash (and while attempting to send error data, no less!) and it would not be addressed by the programming team.

FWIW, in case anyone is reading this, I'm on a (desktop) iMac running Big Sur 11.2.3. I've not had to create an "alternate user" like chrisgh, but I have deleted the Turbotax preferences file com.intuit.turbotax.2020.plist, deleted my copy of Turbotax, and downloaded a fresh copy. When asked via pop-up window, I have purposely NOT sent the error report to Turbotax in order to avoid crashing. This seems to work, though the program is much, much slower than before. Something is really wrong that needs addressing, Intuit!

Did you also uncheck the box for "Auto send errors to Turbo Tax" or something worded like that? You must uncheck the box, and close that window. After 90 minutes, we finally found the file she was trying to help us find, but never said to us the "GO" menu when searching! One of the answers here helped us find that. We also called and got a new code for the download. So, we uninstalled everything, including that pesky ~/Library file, restarted the computer, then downloaded it again, and unchecked that box and it finally works! That one pesky file and that error box is causing all the trouble it seems.

Yes! This is EXACTLY what worked for me! I had already completed a few returns and was doing one when it crashed in the middle. I do remember getting those "We hit a snag boxes" but I had ignored them. Also, it was people on THIS forum who helped us find that pesky file! The TT Support person, was not specifying to use the "GO" menu! That makes a huge difference!

I found this on another thread:

"2 - I resolved this by deleting all files under ~/Library/Caches/KSCrash/TurboTax"

I just deleted the whole ~/Library/Caches/KSCrash folder.

No more "it looks like we hit a snag" dialog on startup of TurboTax!

This is pretty ridiculous. Is there still no update/fix? It loses every bit of data I've entered each time it crashes and it crashes at the same place every time. If the workaround is to enter everything, then let it crash, then not send a report and hope it doesn't crash again. That's not worth it. Need a refund.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

If you would like to request a refund for your TurboTax product, please see the below link.

How do I request a refund for my TurboTax product?

@Blaserbeam

Hey I tried doing the same thing what you mentioned, but I cannot find the option to delete Intuit as you mentioned in the message? Please help me with this. Also which number did you use to contact TT agent? I cannot seem to find any number that connects me to an agent directly for help with TT 2020 product. Please help!

The only thing I can suggest is to follow audge66's suggestion, i.e., specifically search for "~/Library":  

"I wound up spending 2 1/2 hours with a wonderful woman from TurboTax support. I’d tried the uninstall, but couldn’t find the TurboTax extensions mentioned in the article on how to fix. I’d been entering /Library in the Finder window, not ~/Library. It turns out that the “~” was really important to finding those files and deleting them."

To solve this problem, I first downloaded  App Cleaner 2 for Mac.  I used it to uninstall Turbotax Premier 2020.  It uninstalled Turbotax and asked if I wanted to delete The associated files.  I said yes to delete all 2020 associated files.  I then reinstalled Turbotax using the cd.  Since then, on newer Turbotax editions, I will often get a message that says something went wrong.....send info to Turbotax.  I ALWAYS UNCHECK THE BOX THAT SAYS SEND TO TURBOTAX, nd then all appears to be OK.  

I am not sure what is going on, but this works for me.  I think Turbotax installs some file that causes a problem.  Hope this helps.  

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for providing what works for you. As this can help others out in the community. @Lydiamarinelli 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies