turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why Can't I Request an Extension Electronically in the Desktop Version?

Hi.  I'm hoping that someone can pass this along to TurboTax development but also it may help others using the Desktop version.

I wanted to file an extension and I chose the option in the Desktop platform.  Unfortunately, it would only allow me to print a Form 4868 and mail it to the IRS.  I had a problem with requesting an extension by mail last year so I didn't want to take a chance again.

I knew that there were free services on the Internet with which you could electronically file an extension.  Imagine my surprise when I found out that TurboTax offered one at https://turbotax.intuit.com/irs-tax-extensions/.   I used this service last night and got status emails (including an approval) today.

IMHO, the Desktop platform should offer this as an option.  At a minimum, it should have a link to the webpage and only if it can't be done within the platform itself.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I also thought I could file an extension electronically and waited until the deadline, 4/18/22. By that time the post office was closed and it was too late. I didn't file an extension. It should be built into the program. 

First NEVER wait until the last minute to do anything ... if you could not file by the 15th you should have put yourself on extension and the TT program does support efiling of that form.   And if you could not figure out how to do it or it was rejected you still had 3 days to mail in the form.   Also if you will not have a balance due on the return the extension is not even needed.  If you will have a balance due then filing the extension without a payment  would only give you more time to file but not time to pay. 

I agree with you that the desktop version should allow us to file an online extension, or at least point us to the turbotax online site that allows us to do that.  (Unfortunately, I'm not in charge of Turbotax functionality!)

Fortunately, you found and listed the online site for turbotax that allows for filing an extension.

While I have not used it, I believe the IRS also has a site for this at

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/extension-of-time-to-file-your-tax-return

As long as you make a payment you've filed for an extension. From the IRS site:

Get an extension when you make a payment

You can also get an extension by paying all or part of your estimated income tax due and indicate that the payment is for an extension using Direct Pay, the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS), or a credit or debit card. This way you won’t have to file a separate extension form and you will receive a confirmation number for your records.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies