turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Why can't I redeem the Quicken Starter offer in Turbotax 2020?

The screenshot provided by user bdaniel230 above clearly says this offer is for purchases on Amazon.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

VolvoGirl

Of course it is a 2020 CD and someone else has already posted a screen shot of what everyone is referring to.

@jws9518Perhaps, but the fact that the Amazon listing stil explicitly features this promotion makes me think otherwise - else, they are *really* lazy.

Yes, but the offer is also clearly on my DVD..regardless the link doesn't work..whether Intuit set up some deal with AMZ and Quicken...   I am not so concerned about the offer and Quicken is not what it use to be anyways..but it is clearly a link offering the deal within the software.

I vote for the lazy option...that offer existed within the software last year and the year before as well.

@jws9518 wrote:

I vote for the lazy option...that offer existed within the software last year and the year before as well.

I don't know about that since the current 2020 TurboTax advertisement on Amazon says:

Exclusively at Amazon, receive a free 1 year subscription to Quicken Starter Edition ($35.99 value) with your purchase of TurboTax (applies to new Quicken subscribers only)

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 2.40.07 PM.jpg

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Mac

You are possibly correct, but AMZ has been known to post incorrect information on products before, whether by error or being lazy as well.  

Regardless, none of the companies' reps seems to know about the offer or why the link isn't working...

Maybe they will either remove the offer or fix it some day down the road... but like the interface issue with Chase last year, which they  never fixed, I am sure it is not a priority for Intuit.

@jws9518 wrote:

Mac

You are possibly correct, but AMZ has been known to post incorrect information on products before, whether by error or being lazy as well.  

While that might be true, it would seem to be more then a simple oversight in removing an old "dead link" from the software if someone also had to add that wording to the 2020 advertisement on Amazon.  It would seem to be intentional and not an error.

Well I guess we will know if they ever fix the issue and someone comes back saying they were able to redeem the offer before the tax deadline in April.

macuser_22

FWIW - yes, I bought my TT 2020 Home & Business from Amazon - however, I bought the CD version, so that came, pre-wrapped, from Intuit. The offer is embedded on the "Open File" page (see screenshot). While Amazon may have advertised it, they certainly did not embed the offer in the software.

I suspect this was just some incredibly poor QC for TT - which is certainly concerning going forward.

An alternate explanation might be that there WAS an agreement for this promotion, and then something fell through, but the offer was never removed from TT 2020.

I will try to call Quicken tomorrow (if I can find time - I'm currently doing final preps to send our QB file to our accountant) to ask them, since Intuit aka TurboTax doesn't seem to have a clue about it. It may be that the problem is at Quicken's end, and they have no idea that their link is dead.

Quicken Offer 2020 TT.jpg

I bought the Home & Business CD from Costco and installed it on Windows.  I don't have any Quicken offers.  I think they can make different CDs for different vendors like Amazon.

@SteveS60 wrote:

macuser_22

FWIW - yes, I bought my TT 2020 Home & Business from Amazon - however, I bought the CD version, so that came, pre-wrapped, from Intuit. The offer is embedded on the "Open File" page (see screenshot). While Amazon may have advertised it, they certainly did not embed the offer in the software.

I suspect this was just some incredibly poor QC for TT - which is certainly concerning going forward.

An alternate explanation might be that there WAS an agreement for this promotion, and then something fell through, but the offer was never removed from TT 2020.

I will try to call Quicken tomorrow (if I can find time - I'm currently doing final preps to send our QB file to our accountant) to ask them, since Intuit aka TurboTax doesn't seem to have a clue about it. It may be that the problem is at Quicken's end, and they have no idea that their link is dead.

Quicken Offer 2020 TT.jpg

Note that your screenshot says: "Included with your TurboTax purchase on Amazon..."

This is only on Amazon products.

For what it's worth I did some advanced networking analysis to see what TurboTax is doing when you click that menu item, and it appears to be making a call out to a Quicken address:

https://services.quicken.com/urls/redeem-turbotax-offer

This leads me to believe this is Quicken messing up more than Intuit. That being said, since this is a promotion delivered by TurboTax, someone should probably pick up the phone and let Quicken know it's broken.

Looks like with today's Jan 8, 2021 update which remains a mystery to what they fixed, since Intuit no longer provides a detailed history log, fixed the Quicken link.  So, for those interested, enjoy your one year free, overpriced subscription Quicken offer.  🙂   Oh and especially for Volvo Girl.. Yes, on 2020 Turbotax ‌. 😛

I received word that the Quicken offer link should be working now.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies