turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why can’t I pay with my federal refund

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

The Pay with Refund option is not currently available.

r0nibaby3
Returning Member

is there a reason why? and when will it be back available?

@r0nibaby3 wrote:

is there a reason why? and when will it be back available?

We do not know if or when the Pay with Refund will be put back on the TurboTax online editions.  The problem has been reported to the TurboTax Moderators of this forum and we are waiting on their response.  It may take a day or two before we receive a response.

Or—-Use this IRS site for other ways to file for free.  There are 8  free software versions available from the IRS Free File site

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@rick707509 @r0nibaby3   

Also be aware that if it's a temporary glitch and the option returns to pay fees out of the Federal refund, there is an additional 39.99 service fee for that payment option (44.99 for California filers.)   You'll save money if you pay by one of the methods below.

There is no service fee if you pay by credit/debit card.   If you don't have or don't want to use a credit/debit card, you can also pay by a prepaid debit card you can buy in a store.  A prepaid card may have a service fee of a few dollars from the underlying bank to register and activate.   Any card must have the Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express logo.    A US billing address is required when using a card.

If the "pay out of Federal refund" option returns, you must also be sure you meet all the qualifications.  Here are some circumstances that do not allow that option:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies