Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Why can't I get the Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet to accept my stimulus payment information?

@DaveF1006 

Thank you for the reply.

The steps you mentioned are the steps I use. I fill in the information the first time the program ask, and then when it comes time for the Federal Review, the program sends me to an error in the worksheet.

I don’t believe I need to do the worksheet since my family received the full amount. Still, it makes me review the worksheet and then I am stuck because the continue button does not work after I re-enter the information.

I am just going to give up on Turbo tax this year and use a different program. I have enjoyed your service for eight years, but since this issue seems to unexplainable which makes it unsolvable, I am goin to use a different service this year.

Thanks for all the replies and all of your help.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Why can't I get the Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet to accept my stimulus payment information?

Are you able to follow these steps to enter stimulus payment 1 and stimulus payment 2?  

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Other Tax Situations.
  • At the screen Let’s keep going to wrap up.  Click on Let’s keep going.
  • At the screen Let’s make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  • At the screen Did you get a stimulus payment? you can update your stimulus check entries. 

TurboTax will compare your two payment amounts to the computation within TurboTax.  The computations within TurboTax are based upon the information that has been entered into the tax software.  If you are due an additional amount, it will be issued as a Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return.

See also this TurboTax Help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Before you give up altogether - IRS just posted (as of February 5) that if your stimulus payment(s) was based on 2019 or 2018 tax returns, and your income was reduced this year, they are now making up the difference; this is why it was "forcing" me to answer the questions, and it really increased my refund!

I filed my returns tonight -- using the online website. During federal review, I filled in the boxes for the recovery rebate credit. Fast forward and as I review the 1040 form after filing it, I see that Line 30 is blank. It should show the totaled amounts I filled in on the federal review form -- but it's blank.

I guess I need to amend the return. Will TT cover this cost when it's clearly no fault of mine?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@nebirah  Answered in the separate question that you posted.

lpburnette720
Returning Member

TurboTax says that based on our income we're eligible for two stimulus payouts, but when I indicate that we didn't receive as much as it says we're eligible for (I enter the amount of the checks we received), but I don't see any credit added to my return. It keeps changing my answer (NO) and resetting back to 'YES' this is the amount we received. When I enter No, and then enter the partial stimulus payment amount we received, it says we are eligible. It doesn't show up on my 1040, and when I go back to check it, it has reverted back and shows that I selected Yes. How can I correct this?

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Try deleting the worksheet before revisiting the section. To do this in TurboTax, follow these steps:

1. From the left menu, select Tax Tools.
  2. Select Tools.
  3. Scroll to Delete a Form.
  4. Scroll to Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet and select DeleteDelete Selected Form and Continue.

Next, refresh your browser, and select Federal from the left menu. (click the round, clockwise spin arrow next to the address line. In Windows Chrome, the preferred Browser, it looks like the screenshot here.)

Then, return to the stimulus payments area and update your  Recovery Rebate Credit by following these steps. Even though you have been doing this already, with the new, blank worksheet in your program, you will be able to update:

1. Go to the search box and enter stimulus. Click the Jump to link.
  2. Answer Yes.
  3. At the next screen, Let's double-check the amount you received, answer No to edit the first-round and second-round amounts.
  4. Enter the amount received for each stimulus separately. When finished, click Continue.

@lpburnette720

DIYgirl

This does NOT address my issue and I can't be alone in this. I did not receive either stimulus check for my daughter claimed on my taxes for 2019 when it was my year to claim her. Although she lives with me, her father gets to claim her for 2020, so I cannot put her down as a dependent this year, therefore the rebate recovery worksheet doesn't calculate that I'm owed the money, but I am, since she was MY dependent when the stimulus checks were issues. I've asked two different accountants how to navigate this and both said they have no idea. Now the tax credit issue is going to allow her father to get that credit too, since it's his turn to claim her on his 2020 taxes. I lost out on both when I shouldn't have. I have $1100 coming and no way to claim it. 

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

At this point you should check your 2019 return to try to determine why she did not qualify for round one and two stimulus payments.  In order to qualify she needed to qualify for the Child Tax Credit on your 2019 return.  Check the dependent section on your 2019 return to see that the "Child Tax Credit" box is checked. If it is not then you can determine why.  

The first test is she age 16 or younger?  The other big test is did you indicate on your return that she lived with you more than 1/2 the year?  Below is a list of the other qualifications.

If she should have qualified but for an error on your 2019 tax return then you should file an amendment.  It may not work but that is the only option you have at this time.

• Taxpayers who are eligible to claim this credit must list the name and Social Security number for each dependent on their tax return.
  • The child must be younger than 17 on the last day of the tax year, generally Dec 31.
  • The child must be the taxpayer’s son, daughter, stepchild, foster or adopted child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, half-brother or half-sister. An adopted child includes a child lawfully placed with them for legal adoption. They can also include grandchildren, nieces or nephews.
  • The child must have not provided more than half of their own support for the year.
  • The taxpayer must claim the child as their dependent on their federal tax return.
  • The child cannot file a tax return for the same year with the status married filing jointly, unless the only reason they are filing is to claim a refund.
  • The child must be a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national or a U.S. resident alien.
  • In most cases, the child must have lived with the taxpayer for more than half of 2019.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies