Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do u find my prior year self select PIN number?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

28 Replies
KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

The Self-Select PIN is a random 5-digit number that you enter as your electronic signature when e-filing your return. The PIN number was a random number that you chose last year and is not kept in our system. Only you have access to that number. The IRS is asking for your last year's Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) in lieu of that PIN number.

You can use last year's AGI. The original AGI is the amount from your prior year originally filed return as accepted by IRS. The amount can be located on:

• Form 1040 - Line 38
  • Form 1040A - Line 21
  • Form 1040EZ - Line 4

Do not enter a corrected amount or the amount from an amended tax return.

For the purpose of signing your electronic return, you can reuse your Self-Select PIN from last year or create a new one to use, it doesn’t matter which option you choose.

You create your own Self-Select PIN. You do not register the PIN with the IRS before filing or need to contact the IRS to get it. The five-digit PIN can be any five digits except all zeros.

You can retrieve your filing PIN here: https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Electronic-Filing-PIN-Request

The IRS requires your AGI for identity verification.

Please review the following TurboTax FAQ on locating your previous year's AGI:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301618

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I did a tax return and eFile for a friend. I verified agi from 2019 and it is correct on the eFile. I don’t know how to verify if the PIN number displayed on 2020 eFile is correct. The return was rejected twice for either agi or pin. What is next step?

For the purpose of signing your electronic return, you can reuse your Self-Select PIN from last year or create a new one to use.  If you can't remember it, go ahead and create a new one.  Another alternative is to use your adjusted gross income (AGI).

Here is a TurboTax article that explains How to find last year’s AGI

@francist32

The AGI from last year is correct but the return efile is still rejected?

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for more information about rejected returns and how to fix them:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/how-do-i-fix-a-rejected-return/00/26136

Please see the Customer Support phone number below for further assistance:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
aenn13

Same here, im staring at my AGI line from my 2019 return, and entering that number, yet it keeps getting rejected.

Why the hell is it my problem that the IRS is inept?

@aenn13 wrote:

Same here, im staring at my AGI line from my 2019 return, and entering that number, yet it keeps getting rejected.
Why the hell is it my problem that the IRS is inept?

I assume this is for a single filer, since you didn't mention it being a joint return.

For the 2019 AGI, be sure you are using the figure from your original 2019 return, not an amended one.

The AGI is on the 2019 Form 1040, Line 8b.

If your return was filed real late in the year, such as after mid-November 2020, try an AGI of 0 (zero).

Or if your return was delayed in IRS processing for several months and wasn't fully processed by mid-November, try an AGI of 0 (zero.)

If you qualify to open an IRS account, you could download a 2019 tax return transcript at the IRS website to see what they are showing for your 2019 AGI.

In any case, before giving up always try an AGI of 0 (zero) just in case--sort of like a "Hail Mary" pass in football.

barwillo

If you are using the same computer as you did last year, the pin number will still be there. You should see it after you enter your direct deposit and DL info.

AY8
Level 1

same here!

Try using 0 for last years AGI. It worked for me. 

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

The Self-Select PIN is a 5-digit number that you chose last year and is not kept in our system. Only you have access to that number.

Instead of a PIN you can use last year's Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) iOn your 2019 1040 return, the AGI is found on line 8b.  For more information  please see this TurboTax Help article:  How do I find last year’s AGI?

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

The Self-Select PIN is a 5-digit number that you chose last year and is not kept in our system. Only you have access to that number.

Instead of a PIN you can use last year's Adjusted Gross Income (AGI).  On your 2019 1040 return, the AGI is found on line 8b.  For more information  please see this TurboTax Help article:  How do I find last year’s AGI?

AY8
Level 1

Thank you, Ron!
Using 0 instead of the last year AGI did the magic!💫

I think INTUIT should fix this bug!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AY8  It's not a "bug" for Intuit to fix.  The match (or mismatch) comes from what the IRS has on file for you. If your 2019 tax return is one of the many millions that the IRS hasn't processed yet, or that they didn't process before they closed off this database, 0 will be the only entry that works based on the IRS records.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies